Certifying Physician/Nurse Practitioner Information
- Certifying physicians and nurse practitioners who are new to the program must first register for an account within the Department’s online registry portal and submit a “Physician Registration” application-type in order to be verified with the Department. Once this process is complete, the online registry portal will allow that physician or nurse practitioner to submit electronic physician certification forms on behalf of patients they certify.
- Patients requiring more than the standard six (6) ounces per month will need one (1) physician certification form, completed and submitted electronically by an MD, DO, or NP, certifying them for an increased amount above the standard six (6) ounces.
- Once an electronic form is submitted by the physician/nurse practitioner within the online registry portal, patients will then need to register/log into their own online registry portal account to submit a patient application that will include the electronic physician certification.
- Only the Department has authority to issue licenses to qualifying patients and/or their primary caregivers for the purpose of possessing and purchasing medical marijuana.
Certifying physicians and nurse practitioners with verified accounts may submit electronic physician certification forms directly to the Department through the secure electronic registration system. The tutorials below provide step by step guidance for physicians/nurse practitioners to register and become verified with the Department in order to submit electronic forms:
Your Role as a Certifying Physician/Nurse Practitioner
Be a licensed physician (MD, DO)/nurse practitioner (NP) pursuant to Missouri Law, follow DHSS Guidance for Certification Appointments, and submit certifications on behalf of a qualifying patient. See 19 CSR 100-1.050 Physicians and Nurse Practitioners.
- NOTE: Physicians/nurse practitioners should be aware that your submitted information in the registry portal may be subject to Missouri’s Sunshine Law.
- Only the department has authority to issue licenses to qualifying patients and/or their primary caregivers for the purpose of possessing and purchasing marijuana.
- DHSS Guidance for Certification Appointments
- Additional resources can be found on the Publications page with information on how to order free publications from the department’s warehouse. The Department is currently updating informational brochures to reflect the rules that took effect in August 2023.