Oral Health Education
Free literature for use in Missouri can be ordered by completing the following form and emailing it to email@example.com:
All literature below can be downloaded and printed for public use with no copy restrictions:
- 5 Steps for a Healthy Smile (bookmark #102)
- Attention Parents & Guardians (poster #599)
- Baby Teeth are Important (card #189)
- Brushing Basics Activity Book (available in download only)
- Dental Guide For School Nurses (booklet #134)
- Dental Sealants (card #133)
- Don’t forget to Brush (mirror cling #103)
- Healthy Smiles from the Start (brochure #463)
- Healthy Teeth and Gums (brochure #154)
- How Fluoride Works (poster #785)
- Oral Health and Diet bookmark (available in download only)
- Oral Health is Overall Health (rack card #101)
- Pregnancy and Oral Health (card #184)
- Seal Out Tooth Decay, A Booklet for Parents (booklet #115)
- Show-Me Healthy Smile s for Healthy Life (rack card #96)
- Snacking Risk Card (available in download only)
- Sugary Drinks Risk Card (available in download only)
- Water Fluoridation (card #138)
- We Need Dentists & Hygienists (poster #601)
Available Spanish versions:
- 5 Steps for a Healthy Smile (Spanish #518)
- Brushing Basics Activity Book (Spanish #130)
- Dental Sealants-Seal out Decay Brochure (Spanish #520)
- Don’t forget to Brush (mirror cling Spanish #519)
- Healthy Smiles from the Start (Spanish #464)
- How Fluoride Works (poster Spanish #756)
- Oral Health is Overall Health (Spanish #517)
- Show-Me Healthy Smiles for Healthy Life (Spanish #516)
Preventive Services Program
Education is also provided through the Preventive Services Program (PSP). PSP is dedicated to promoting healthy smiles for all of the children of Missouri through education and preventive treatment.
Oral Health Education Resources (Printable list of education resources)
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIH) has FREE interactive curriculum for grades 1 and 2 on-line videos and paper copies at science.education.nih.gov/supplements/webversions/oral-health/default. Paper copies are also at www.in.gov/isdh/files/Open_Wide_Trek_Inside.pdf. NIH has other oral health literature for other age groups, also at catalog.nidcr.nih.gov/OrderPublications.
- National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center has many FREE fact sheets for professionals, parents, and teachers. A fact sheet describing fluoride varnish is available. This site also has a fact sheet titled, “When children’s oral health suffers, so does their ability to learn,” at www.mchoralhealth.org/PDFs/learningfactsheet.pdf.
- Mouth Healthy by American Dental Association (ADA) has online oral health games, printable activities, educational videos and much more at www.mouthhealthy.org.
- American Dental Hygiene Association (ADHA) has fact sheets for parents and children at www.adha.org/resources. Scroll down to ‘patient resources.’
- Proctor and Gamble (Crest toothpaste) has information for parents and children at www.dentalcare.com, and dental hygiene lesson plans for classrooms K-2nd grade teachers at www.dentalcare.com/en-us/patient-education/childrens-dental-health/lesson-plans/customize-lesson-plan.
- Kids Healthy Mouths has games, videos to view while brushing 2 minutes 2 times a day and other resources at 2min2x.org/watch-brush.
- Head Start Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center (ECLKC) has created the video “Steps for Toothbrushing at the Table: Growing Healthy Smiles in Early Care and Education Programs” that shows how to model proper brushing to children in early childhood centers but can be adapted to the Elementary School setting.
Oral Health Education Activity Sheets
Land of Smiles
Land of Smiles is an educational program offered by Delta Dental. This program provides a live performance by Delta Dental's Tooth Wizard, and friends and is designed for schools (Kindergarten-Third Grade) at no cost. The program provides a teacher's educational guide and DVD. Learn more at www.landofsmilesmo.org.
K-12 Oral Health Education Curriculum (Powerpoint Presentations)
The Department of Health and Senior Services is pleased to be able to offer these oral health education powerpoint presentations designed specifically for Kindergarten-High School Seniors. These presentations can be downloaded free-of-charge by clicking on the grade(s) specific icons. These presentations can be used by school health nurses or teachers, as well as by other health care/child care professionals, in conjunction with their health curriculum.