Oral Health Education
Free literature for use in Missouri can be ordered by completing the following form and emailing it to email@example.com:
All literature below can be downloaded and printed for public use with no copy restrictions:
- 5 Steps for a Healthy Smile (bookmark #102)
- Attention Parents & Guardians (poster #599)
- Baby Teeth are Important (card #189)
- Brushing Basics Activity Book (available in download only)
- Dental Guide For School Nurses (booklet #134)
- Dental Sealants (card #133)
- Don’t forget to Brush (mirror cling #103)
- Healthy Smiles from the Start (brochure #463)
- Healthy Teeth and Gums (brochure #154)
- How Fluoride Works (poster #785)
- Oral Health and Diet bookmark (available in download only)
- Oral Health is Overall Health (rack card #101)
- Pregnancy and Oral Health (card #184)
- Seal Out Tooth Decay, A Booklet for Parents (booklet #115)
- Show-Me Healthy Smile s for Healthy Life (rack card #96)
- Snacking Risk Card (available in download only)
- Sugary Drinks Risk Card (available in download only)
- Water Fluoridation (card #138)
- We Need Dentists & Hygienists (poster #601)
Available Spanish versions:
- 5 Steps for a Healthy Smile (Spanish #518)
- Brushing Basics Activity Book (Spanish #130)
- Dental Sealants-Seal out Decay Brochure (Spanish #520)
- Don’t forget to Brush (mirror cling Spanish #519)
- Healthy Smiles from the Start (Spanish #464)
- How Fluoride Works (poster Spanish #756)
- Oral Health is Overall Health (Spanish #517)
- Show-Me Healthy Smiles for Healthy Life (Spanish #516)
Oral Health Education Resources (Printable list of education resources)
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIH) has FREE interactive curriculum for grades 1 and 2 on-line videos and paper copies at science.education.nih.gov/supplements/webversions/oral-health/default. Paper copies are also at www.in.gov/isdh/files/Open_Wide_Trek_Inside.pdf. NIH has other oral health literature for other age groups, also at catalog.nidcr.nih.gov/OrderPublications.
- National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center has many FREE fact sheets for professionals, parents, and teachers. A fact sheet describing fluoride varnish is available. This site also has a fact sheet titled, “When children’s oral health suffers, so does their ability to learn,” at www.mchoralhealth.org/PDFs/learningfactsheet.pdf.
- Mouth Healthy by American Dental Association (ADA) has online oral health games, printable activities, educational videos and much more at www.mouthhealthy.org.
- American Dental Hygiene Association (ADHA) has fact sheets for parents and children at www.adha.org/resources. Scroll down to ‘patient resources.’
- Proctor and Gamble (Crest toothpaste) has information for parents and children at www.dentalcare.com, and dental hygiene lesson plans for classrooms K-2nd grade teachers at www.dentalcare.com/en-us/patient-education/childrens-dental-health/lesson-plans/customize-lesson-plan.
- Kids Healthy Mouths has games, videos to view while brushing 2 minutes 2 times a day and other resources at 2min2x.org/watch-brush.
Land of Smiles
Land of Smiles is an educational program offered by Delta Dental. This program provides a live performance by Delta Dental's Tooth Wizard, and friends and is designed for schools (Kindergarten-Third Grade) at no cost. The program provides a teacher's educational guide and DVD. Learn more at www.landofsmilesmo.org.
K-12 Oral Health Education Curriculum (Powerpoint Presentations)
The Department of Health and Senior Services is pleased to be able to offer these oral health education powerpoint presentations designed specifically for Kindergarten-High School Seniors. These presentations can be downloaded free-of-charge by clicking on the grade(s) specific icons. These presentations can be used by school health nurses or teachers, as well as by other health care/child care professionals, in conjunction with their health curriculum.