Show Me Falls Free Missouri Coalition
Slips and falls now rank as the leading cause of injury deaths among people 65 and older, and Missouri’s rate of injuries related to falling is 31 percent higher than the national average.
Falls Prevention Awareness Week is September 21-25, 2020
- Recorded Webinar and PowerPoint: 2020 Falls Prevention Awareness Week
- National Council on Aging Falls Prevention Awareness Week Toolkit
Falls are not a normal part of aging, and are preventable. Missouri has a voluntary group called the Show Me Falls Free Missouri Coalition, comprised of more than 50 organizations that have joined to help prevent falls in Missouri.
- Show Me Falls Free Missouri Coalition (This website is temporarily unavailable)
- Show Me Falls Free Missouri Report (Updated 2012)
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services' web-based resource for planning, implementing and evaluating interventions to improve the health of a community.
Missouri Organizations and Resources
- Senior Exercise Resource Guide PDF Document
- Senior Falls Prevention Coalition of Clay and Platte Counties
- Many of Missouri’s Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) hold classes on a variety of topics, including fall prevention tips. Find your local AAA here to see what classes are available to you.
National Organizations and General Resources
- CDC’s Falls Prevention page
- CDC’s STEADI (Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths and Injuries) Took Kit for Health Care Providers
- Center of Excellence for Fall Prevention
- “Getting Up From a Fall” handout from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- National Safety Council – Protecting Ourselves from Slips, Trips and Falls
- Order free falls prevention brochures and publications (CDC – Click on Resources Tab)