Falls Prevention Awareness Month
Falling is not a normal part of aging. DHSS is committed to empowering all aging Missourians to reduce their risk of falls, which are one of the greatest causes of serious injuries and death among people over age 65. In September, 2023, DHSS is partnering with the National Council on Aging (NCOA) to mark Falls Prevention Awareness Month.
As part of this national outreach campaign, DHSS will be sharing information about events in Missouri to raise awareness among older adults.
Falls Prevention Awareness Events
- Providing Person-Centered Home Modifications to Reduce Fall Risks at Home: Click here to register for this NCOA webinar that will take place on Tuesday, September 26th at 1 pm.
- Click here to view How to Bring Fall Prevention Awareness to your Community. This was the most recent presentation by the Show Me Falls Free Missouri Coalition. You can click here to view the PowerPoint and find information from past presentations.
- Falls Prevention Bingo
- Monday, Sept. 18, 3:30 p.m., Kansas City
- Wednesday, Sept. 20, 1 p.m., Kearney
- Friday, Sept. 22, 2 p.m., Kansas City
- Thursday, Sept. 28, 10 a.m., Parkville
- Friday, Sept. 29, 12 p.m., Smithvill
Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit
- NCOA Falls Prevention Awareness Toolkit: The theme this year is from awareness to action. This toolkit includes social media posts and graphics, logos and banners, public relations tools, printable resources, bone health information, and advocacy.