World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD)
What is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD)?
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) is commemorated every June 15th to provide an opportunity for communities to promote a better understanding of abuse and neglect of older adults. WEAAD reminds us that elder abuse has implications for all of us. It is a call to action for individuals, organizations, and communities to learn how to identify, address, and prevent elder abuse so we can all do our part to support everyone as they age.
This year, the theme for WEAAD is Building Strong Support for Elders. Take action today to prevent and address elder abuse and neglect by:
- Engaging Older People.
- Empower Communities.
- Speak Out!
- Involve Youth.
Make a difference. Make the call.
Missouri’s Adult Abuse and Neglect Hotline responds to reports of abuse, bullying, neglect, and financial exploitation. If you suspect someone is being abused, bullied, neglected or exploited, call the hotline at 800-392-0210. The hotline operates 365 days per year from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may utilize Relay Missouri by calling 1-800-735-2466. You can report online at health.mo.gov/abuse.
DHSS is excited to raise awareness with our partners in the aging community! To join a virtual event:
To register please click here
- June 6, 2022 12 pm-1 pm
- June 8, 2022 12pm-1 pm
(Both of these are hosted by the St. Louis Elder Financial Protection Coalition)
- June 14, 2022 11 am-12 pm WEAAD 2022: Building Strong Support for Elders
(Hosted by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services)
- June 9, 2022, Debra Schuster, Attorney/ Elder and Adult Mediator will be interviewed on Studio STL that airs from noon to 1 p.m.
- June 15, 2022, Josh Morrill, Assistant Special Agent in Charge, FBI, St. Louis Division, will be interviewed on Fox 2 News In the Morning at 7:15 a.m.
How can I participate?
- Post a social media message
- Wear the color purple on June 15th, take photos and post (use #____)
- Use a WEAAD Frame on Facebook
- Participate in #WEAAD615 challenge on social media
- Share information about elder abuse
- Share information about scam prevention
- Use a purple porchlight during June
- Play WEAAD bingo with friends
- Use a WEAAD bookmark or give one to a friend
- Color or share a WEAAD coloring page A - WEAAD coloring page B
- Call or visit an elderly friend, family member, or neighbor
- Volunteer to help older adults in your community
- Participate in Walk for WEAAD
- Participate in WEAAD Words Worldwide
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) Proclamation NEW
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day NEW
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Poster NEW
- National Center on Elder Abuse NEW
- Bullying Knows No Age NEW
- WEAAD Toolkit NEW
- Missouri Secretary of State Office-Elder Abuse Video
- Abuse and Neglect Hotline Cards
- Abuse and Neglect Hotline Poster
* These materials can be downloaded and printed or can be ordered by contacting, contact Kathy.Craig@health.mo.gov.