Guidance on Preparing for Workplaces for COVID-19 – OSHA 3990-03 2020. Dental professionals are classified as High to Very High Exposure Risk with COVID-19, see page 23 of the OHSA document.
Oral health is essential for general health and well-being. Oral health problems affect not only the ability to eat and speak but are inter-connected with serious health issues like diabetes, heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, and preterm or low birth weight. But the good news is that oral health problems are preventable. A healthy smile for life starts with healthy habits like brushing and flossing, using fluoride, making smart food choices and eating habits, and visiting the dentist at least yearly.
While the Missouri Office of Dental Health does not offer direct care such as extractions, prosthetics/dentures, composite and silver fillings, and professional cleanings, we are committed to improving the oral health of all Missourians through education, prevention and leadership.
Public Service Announcements regarding fluoridation benefits
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Emerging and Future Challenges for Dental and Oral Medicine
- March 20th is World Oral Health Day. The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Office of Dental Health reminds everyone that cavities can be avoided. Drinking Fluoridated Water, brushing your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, cleaning between your teeth daily, eating a healthy diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks, and seeing your dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease are keys to a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. SAY Ahh Unite for Mouth Health and make a pledge today! #UniteForMouthHealth
- Dr. Nathan Suter, Teledentistry Consultant for DHSS Office of Dental Health (ODH), was honored as Missouri Dental Association (MDA) Dentist of the Year on Nov. 8, 2019. Dr. Suter works with OHD to help educate, establish, and advise fellow Dentists on establishing teledentistry to rural and less developed areas of Missouri. Teledentistry is the use of information technology and telecommunications for dental care. Learn more about Dr. Suter and the award from the MDA news release.
- Learn more about water fluoridation and the recent Canadian study
- The Oral Health of Missouri's Third Grade Children Compared to the General U.S. Population