There are other regulatory programs for food manufacturing that you may need to consult prior to going into business. Below are the most common agencies and the foods that you would produce that would require their involvement.

If you are considering slaughtering and processing meat or poultry for sale or distribution within the state, contact the Missouri Department of Agriculture, Animal Health Division.

Processing and sales of eggs in Missouri is under the jurisdiction of the Missouri Department of Agriculture, Egg Licensing and Inspection Program.

If you are plan to slaughter and process meat or poultry, or process eggs for sale or distribution outside the state, you should contact the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Manufacturers that are required to register with the FDA under the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 now must renew that registration every two (2) years. Information on registering can be found at the FDA’s Food Facility Registration Site. If you plan to become a scheduled processor with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) you can obtain additional information from their website.

View the brochure that discusses the basic requirements for all food manufacturers.

The Food and Drug Administration has several documents that might be helpful.

Additional food processing information that may be useful may be found at these sites.

University of Nebraska Food Processing Center
University of California at Davis
Online Better Process Control School