Cancer is a group of diseases characterized by uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells. If the spread is not controlled, it may result in death. Most types of cancer cells form a lump or mass called a tumor and are named after the part of the body where the tumor originates. Cancer is caused by both external factors (for example, tobacco, chemicals, radiation and infectious organisms) and internal factors (for example, hormones, immune conditions and genetic mutations). The Burden of Cancer in Missouri, A Comprehensive Analysis and Plan can answer many questions regarding cancer in Missouri and activities to address it.
In the years to come, cancer will affect approximately three of every four Missouri families. Men have a one in two lifetime risk of developing cancer and one in four risk of dying from cancer. Women have a one in three lifetime risk of developing cancer and one in five risk of dying from cancer.
In 2013, 31,161 of Missouri’s residents were diagnosed with invasive cancer. This amounted to about four new cases of cancer diagnosed every hour of every day.
With an average of 12,612 deaths annually (individuals 45 and older) during 2013-2015, cancer is second only to heart disease as a leading cause of death among adult Missourians. Specific cancer data for Missouri and for individual counties can be accessed at: BRFSS or Cancer MICA.
ACA Cancer Prevention Summary (May 2017)
- The State of Lung Cancer Screening: The Current Science and Practice (Jan 2017)
- The Burden of Cancer in Missouri, A Comprehensive Analysis and Plan, 2010-2015
- Progress in Cancer Prevention and Control (Dec 2013)
Resources and Information for the Top Ten Cancer Types in Missouri
- Campaign to Increase Colorectal Cancer Screening and Decrease Smoking in St. Francois County
- Campaign to Increase Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening in McDonald County
- Cancer Control Environmental Scan: An Internal Assessment
Additional Cancer Resources
- American Cancer Society
- National Cancer Institute
- Cancer Information Service (CIS)
- CDC - Cancer Prevention & Control
- Missouri Cancer Consortium
- R.A. Bloch Cancer Foundation, Inc
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Missouri Cancer Inquiry
- What You Can Do
Life Savers - Programs For You!
Live Like Your Life Depends On It
Information and resources to help Missourians live longer and healthier lives.
Organ & Tissue Donation
Learn how to join the Missouri organ and tissue donor registry.
Show Me Healthy Women
Early detection saves lives. Get breast and cervical cancer screenings.
Get access to health screenings and lifestyle education that can reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Missouri Tobacco Quitline
Access to counseling, information and referrals for smokers who want to quit using tobacco.