What is ShowMeVax?
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services reached out to vaccinators in late October and follow up calls since with an invitation to interface with the enhanced ShowMeVax, Missouri’s Immunization Information System. If you have not taken steps to continue exchanging vaccination data, be advised that the current legacy ShowMeVax feed will discontinue on January 31, 2021. Therefore, all providers wishing to continue exchanging vaccination data with the enhanced ShowMeVax will need to onboard, by registering. If you have any questions, reach out.
ShowMeVax is a secure and confidential data system designed to meet the national standards for effective tracking and timely administration of immunizations in a public health setting. It is a web-based database that maintains complete, accurate, and secure immunizations records for Missouri residents. The immunization information is available to authorized users, such as health care providers, childcare facilities, and schools who work together to inhibit vaccine-preventable diseases.
ShowMeVax meets the Immunization Information System (IIS) National Standards with the following features:
- Vaccine ordering, administered dose reporting, and inventory tracking all in one system.
- Bidirectional (query and response) electronic data exchange with electronic health record systems (EHRs).
- Immunization Coverage Rate Reports
- Up to date programming, called the “Recommender”, which forecasts vaccinations that are invalid, due, and overdue to help avoid under and over-vaccinations.
- Reminder/Recall Reports
- Official immunization certificates for schools, childcare, camps, and even college.
- Electronic querying for patients’ previous immunization records.
General Questions on ShowMeVax
How does ShowMeVax work?
- Health care providers and Pharmacies record immunizations that they have given into ShowMeVax.
- Each individual has a personal record into which all the immunization information is entered.
- When an individual visits a different clinic, that clinic can then view the immunizations that were given anywhere in the state.
- ShowMeVax provides an official immunization record for any program that requires proof of vaccination history.
- Health care providers, schools, and childcare facilities can search ShowMeVax to determine what vaccines an individual has received.
- Health care provider participation in ShowMeVax is voluntary, so if an individual receives an immunization from a health care provider that does not use ShowMeVax, those immunizations will not be recorded.
What are the benefits of ShowMeVax?
- Provides a system that can maintain immunizations records from many different health care providers.
- Helps prevent children, adolescents, and adults from receiving vaccines they have already received.
- Gives health care providers, schools, and childcare facilities quick and easy access to immunization records.
What are the ShowMeVax reporting requirements, regulations, and mandates?
- Reporting immunization information to the State of Missouri is not required for all providers.
- Pharmacies that immunize patients are required to report as outlined in Chapter 338.010, RSMo.
Will reporting to ShowMeVax violate HIPAA requirements?
- No. Physicians are authorized to disclose immunization histories to the ShowMeVax Program and its authorized agents without patient authorization or opportunity to object because it is part of public health activities.
Who has access to the information in ShowMeVax?
- Only authorized medical providers, health care professionals, pharmacies, schools, childcare providers have access to ShowMeVax. The information will not be shared with any other people or any other agency unless you have completed the Request for Official State of Missouri Immunization Records and emailed it to email@example.com.
- ShowMeVax performs best in the Google Chrome browser.
- On screen help is available on nearly every screen of the application by clicking the (blue question marks)
- Disable pop-up blockers in your web browser to able to access all functionality in ShowMeVax.
- User accounts will be automatically inactivated after 60 days of non-use. Click “Forgot password” on the log in screen to re-activate your account.
How do I contact the Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program for processes in the new ShowMeVax?
VFC program questions can be directed to the helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-219-3224.
How do I request a copy of ShowMeVax immunization records?
- ShowMeVax records can be obtained through a participating health care provider or by contacting your Local Public Health Agency. Alternatively, you may complete a Request for Official State of Missouri Immunization Records and submit it to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Immunizations via fax at 573-526-0238 or email email@example.com. For questions, call 800-219-3224 or 573-751-6124.