Health Professional Loan and Loan Repayment Programs
The Health Professional Loan and Loan Repayment programs administered by the Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) are designed to increase access to health care for Missourians in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). In parts of Missouri, a shortage of primary health care providers makes it difficult for low-income, uninsured, and geographically isolated Missourians to receive health care. By working with health care providers and communities, access to care can be improved for the underserved.
Pay Online - JetPay Payment Services
If you are making payments on your student loan or loan repayment award(s), you may utilize the on-line payment platform in lieu of mailing your payments to the department.
- Health Professionals Registry (MoHWoRx) NEW
- Missouri Health Professional Placement Services
- Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA)
- National Health Service Corps
- Federally Qualified Health Care Centers
- National Interest Waivers
There are four Health Professional Loan and Loan Repayment programs offered through DHSS:
- Nurse Student Loan Program (NSL) awards funding for eligible educational expenses to qualified students pursuing careers as licensed Practical Nurses or Professional Nurses in Missouri.
- Nurse Loan Repayment Program (NLRP) awards funding for the repayment of eligible educational loans for qualified Registered and Advanced Practice Nurses in Missouri.
- Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP): awards funding for the repayment of eligible educational loans for qualified Health Professionals, Physicians, Dentists, and Psychiatrists in Missouri.
- The Primary Care Resource Initiative for Missouri (PRIMO) awards funding for eligible educational expenses to qualified students pursuing careers as licensed primary care Physicians, Dentists, Dental Hygienists, and Psychiatrists in Missouri.
Applications are accepted from January 1 to March 1, each calendar year.
Office of Rural Health and Primary Care
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
P.O. Box 570, 912 Wildwood
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0570
Email (Preferred Method of Contact): DHSS.LoanRepsayment@health.mo.gov
Before You Apply
- You must understand all the program provisions, penalties, and how contract breaches occur.
- There are serious penalties associated with breaching program contracts, which could result in paying back the entire loan amount awarded to you including interest.
- All funds awarded accrue an annual interest rate of 9.5% from the date the loan is disbursed.