Brief Description

pH, Fluoride, Nitrate/Nitrogen, Chloride, Sulfate, Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)

When requesting a New Well Series in the Tests Requested section of the Chemical Water Testing Form the following tests will be performed:  pH, fluoride, chloride, nitrate/nitrogen, sulfate, iron, manganese, and lead.

Laboratory Unit



pH - electrometrically using either a glass electrode in combination with a reference potential or a combination electrode attached to a pH meter or automatic titrator.

Fluoride, Nitrate/Nitrogen, Chloride, Sulfate – anions of interest are separated and measured by ion chromatography.

Total Dissolved Solids(TDS) -  gravimetric analysis

Specimen Collection

1 L cubitainer

Nitrate/Nitrogen – Must be tested within 14 days of collection.

TDS – Must be tested within 7 days of collection

Chemical Water Sample Collection Instructions


No special conditions.

Acceptable Specimen Type(s)

Private - Private drinking water supplies (well water) is conducted in circumstances where public health is threatened.  Must be submitted by an Environmental Public Health Specialist or Environmental Specialist employed by a Public Health Agency for all drinking water supply analysis.

In instances where private drinking water supply testing is requested but public health is not impacted, testing should be conducted by private laboratories.  For a list of private laboratories that are certified by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MODNR) to conduct drinking water analysis, please contact MODNR Public Drinking Water Program at 573-751-5331.

Test Request Form(s)

Possible Results

Refer to Environmental Protection Agency’s website for contaminant level.

Unacceptable Conditions

Incorrect specimen container
Exceeded holding times.

Interfering Substances


Result Reported

Water analysis is performed weekly.  Results above the EPA contaminate level are called to the submitter.



CPT Codes




Additional Information

For information about drinking water, including contamination levels, go to the EPA website.