Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
2019-nCoV Collection Kits
Before collecting and shipping specimens for Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) testing, please call the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services at 877-435-8411 for approval. Note that before any specimen is sent for testing, DHSS staff must first be consulted!
After consultation and determination that the patient meets the criteria for testing, contact the Missouri State Public Health Laboratory (MSPHL) at 573/751-3334 or 800/392-0272 if you have questions regarding collection and shipping prior to collecting the specimens. This will help ensure that proper specimens are obtained in the right quantity, and that they are packed and transported properly.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
- Nasopharyngeal swab in Viral Transport Media (VTM)
Test Request Form(s)
- Not Detected
- Positive 2019-nCoV
- Inconclusive (Specimen may be referred to CDC for additional testing)
- Invalid (Specimen is inadequate for testing, a new specimen may need to be collected)
- The name on the specimen does not match the name on the requisition form.
- The specimen container is not labeled with the patient’s name.
- Improper storage/transport of specimen.
- The sample collected with improper collection device—cotton-tipped or calcium-alginate swab, wooden-shaft swab, transport media not intended for viruses.
- The specimen is not one of the listed acceptable specimens.
Cotton-tipped or calcium-alginate swab, wooden-shaft swab, transport media not intended for viruses
Testing is performed and results are reported the same day the specimen is received.