Brief Description

Iron, Manganese, Zinc, Copper, Lead, Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, Nickel, Aluminum, Arsenic, Barium, Mercury, Beryllium, Vanadium, Molybdenum, Antimony, Thallium, Thorium, Uranium, Strontium, Tin, Selenium, Titanium and Lithium.

When requesting a New Well Series in the Tests Requested section of the Chemical Water Testing Form the following tests will be performed:  pH, fluoride, chloride, nitrate/nitrogen, sulfate, iron, manganese, and lead.

Laboratory Unit



Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICPMS)

Specimen Collection


No special conditions. 

Acceptable Specimen Type(s)

Public – Household plumbing or/environmental lead investigation.  Must be submitted by an Environmental Public Health Specialist or Lead Assessor.

Private - Private drinking water supplies (well water) is conducted in circumstances where public health is threatened.  Must be submitted by an Environmental Public Health Specialist, Lead Assessor or Environmental Specialist employed by a Public Health Agency for all drinking water supply analysis.

In instances where private drinking water supply testing is requested but public health is not impacted, testing should be conducted by private laboratories.  For a list of private laboratories that are certified by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MODNR) to conduct drinking water analysis, please contact MODNR Public Drinking Water Program at 573-751-5331.

Test Request Form(s)

Possible Results

Refer to Environmental Protection Agency's website for contaminant level.

Unacceptable Conditions

Specimen container not provided by the MSPHL.

Interfering Substances


Result Reported

Water analysis is performed and result reports are sent weekly.  Results above the EPA contaminate level are called to the submitter.

Metals with results greater than or equal to EPA’s maximum contaminant level will be reported to submitter when any metal is requested.



CPT Codes




Additional Information

Public drinking water supplies are tested by the Missouri Department of Natural resources.  For public water supply analysis results go to the MODNR website.

For information about drinking water, including contamination levels, go to the EPA website.