Ebola Virus (EV)
Ebola Virus (EV) Polymerase Chain Reaction
Ebola Virus Collection
Mailing kits have been pre-positioned at Department of Health and Senior Services Regional Offices with our Senior Epidemiologists. The Senior Epidemiologists must be contacted on ALL suspected Ebola cases (573)751-6111 or (800)392-0272 (24/7 contact). CDC consultation is also mandatory and the Epidemiologists can assist with this process as well. The kits they will provide are mailing kits only. They ARE NOT collection kits. The collecting laboratory will be required to provide and use the standard purple top vials for collection of blood specimens. These vials can then be placed inside the protective mailers. It is IMPERATIVE that the laboratory collects duplicate specimens for Ebola testing. One specimen will be shipped to the designated LRN laboratory for preliminary testing, and the other specimen will be sent to the CDC for confirmatory testing. Since these are suspect cases they can be shipped simultaneously to both testing facilities as a Category A specimen through Fedex.
Specimen transportation for EV specimens to the MSPHL will be arranged through the Regional Epidemiologist to ensure rapid delivery for testing.
Acceptable Specimen Type(s)
EDTA purple top blood tube
It is important to collect TWO specimens simultaneously!
Test Request Form(s)
- Ebola Virus RNA Not Detected by rRT-PCR
- Inconclusive for Ebola Virus RNA by rRT-PCR--an Inconclusive result may occur in the case of an inadequate specimen
- Ebola Virus RNA Detected by rRT-PCR--Additional testing required to support definitive identification of Ebola Virus
- Test Cancelled
- The name on the specimen does not match the name on the requisition form.
- The specimen container is not labeled with the patient's name.
- Improper storage/transport of specimen.
- The sample collected with improper collection device-transport media not intended for viruses.
- The specimen is not the listed acceptable specimens.
Testing is performed and results are reported the same day the specimen is received.
A984 Ebola virus disease Ebola virus disease [A98.4] ICD-10-CM Diagnosis
EBOV RNA XXX Ql PCR
Ebola virus RNA [Presence] in Unspecified specimen by Probe and target amplification method