Missouri Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) would like child care providers to successfully support breastfeeding families. Breastfeeding gives moms and babies many health benefits- yet many moms worry that going back to work will make it hard to breastfeed. Helping moms continue to breastfeed can be done with just a little time and resources. Becoming a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care is a voluntary recognition program available to Missouri child care facilities.
To receive the award, child care providers must meet the below criteria that aim to improve the support for breastfeeding women in the workforce. Successful applicants will receive a certificate, window cling and recognition on our website. See a list of facilities recognized as "Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care".
Requirements for a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Facility
- Has a written policy that reflects their support of breastfeeding. See Sample Lactation Support Policy
- Provides a welcoming environment for breastfeeding families
- Offers breastfeeding resources to parents. Sample Team Nutrition resource.
- Feeds infants on demand and communicates with moms about feeding preferences
- Trains staff to support breastfeeding parents
Supporting Breastfeeding in Child Care
1.0 Clock Hour
This training provides continuing education to child care center employees and owners on supporting breastfeeding mothers whose babies are in their care. This training counts as the 1 hour training requirement of becoming a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care.
Achieve Breastfeeding Friendly Recognition
Complete the Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care online application.
For more information on becoming a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care, contact the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Where can I find more information on breastfeeding?
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Breastfeeding Program explains the benefits of breastfeeding.
- The Missouri Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite Program educates worksites on the value of providing lactation support in the worksite and to recognize businesses that support their breastfeeding employees.
- Missouri Breastfeeding Coalition