Pregnancy MICA - Documentation/Metadata
Abortion is defined by statute (Chapter 188, RSMo) as the intentional destruction of the life of an embryo or fetus in his or her mother's womb or the intentional termination of the pregnancy of a mother with an intention other than to increase the probability of a live birth or to remove a dead or dying unborn child.
All pregnancies is defined as the summation of live births, fetal deaths and induced abortions.
Spontaneous fetal death is defined by statute (Chapter 193, RSMo) as a non-induced death prior to the complete expulsion or extraction from its mother of a fetus, irrespective of the duration of pregnancy, the death is indicated by the fact that after such expulsion or extraction the fetus does not breathe or show any other evidence of life such as beating of the heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles. Each spontaneous fetal death of twenty completed weeks gestation or more, calculated from the date the last normal menstrual period began to the date of delivery, or a weight of three hundred fifty grams or more which occurs in this state shall be reported.
Live birth is defined by statute (Chapter 193, RSMo) as the complete expulsion or extraction from its mother of a child, irrespective of the duration of pregnancy, which after such expulsion or extraction, breathes or shows any other evidence of life such as beating of the heart, pulsation of the umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles, whether or not the umbilical cord has been cut or the placenta is attached. The definition is also irrespective of birth weight.
Total deliveries is defined as the summation of live births and fetal deaths.
(Joplin, Independence, Kansas City, and Eastern Jackson County)
For data from the birth and death certificates, each city is assigned a code using city limit boundaries.
For data from other sources, where city limit information (city code) is not available, the following definitions are used:
- Joplin includes ZIP codes 64801 and 64804, except that for 2005 and beyond, data from hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers define Joplin by census tracts, which more closely align with the Joplin city limits. The two ZIP codes include some areas outside of Joplin; therefore, MICAs and Profiles that use health care facility data may show lower rates for some indicators in 2005 and beyond than in earlier years.
- Independence includes the following ZIP codes: 64050 through 64053 and 64055 through 64057.
- Kansas City includes the following ZIP codes: 64101, 64102, 64105, 64106, 64108 through 64114, 64116, 64117, 64119, 64120, 64123 through 64134, 64136, 64137, 64139, 64145 through 64147, 64149, 64151, 64153 through 64158, 64165, and 64192.
- Eastern Jackson County is defined as Jackson County excluding the areas defined as Kansas City and Independence.
- Note: ZIP codes 64133 and 64138 are both divided roughly evenly between the cities of Kansas City and Raytown. We chose to include ZIP code 64133 in Kansas City and include ZIP code 64138 in Eastern Jackson County as a compromise.
- Map of Independence/Kansas City/Eastern Jackson County by ZIP code as described above.