If you came to this site because you or someone you know are having suicidal thoughts or feelings, please call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) to reach the National Hope Line. Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (Talk).
Every day two people die by suicide in Missouri*
More Missourians die by suicide than by DWI, homicide or AIDS.
- Missouri’s rate of suicide (14.1/100,000) is higher than national rate (12/100,000)
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in Missouri.
- On average 800 Missourians die by suicide annually.
- Leading methods of suicide: Firearms, suffocation and poisoning.
- Men account for 74% of all suicides in Missouri.
- Department of Mental Health: Suicide Prevention
- Department of Mental Health: Suicide Fact Sheet
- Regional Suicide Resource Centers (Missouri)
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Suicide Prevention
- American Association for Suicidology