Caregivers in Missouri
2017 - The Year of the Caregiver in Missouri
Do you know someone who puts their life on hold to care for an ill family member or friend? If so, the Department of Health and Senior Services invites you to nominate that person for Caregiver of the Year.
The department will feature a story and photo of an unpaid caregiver each month. By December, an overall Caregiver of the Year will be selected. Click here for the nomination form and the photo release form. Send both forms, along with a digital photo of the caregiver, to Becca.Coffelt@health.mo.gov.
Caregiver of the Month
Native St. Louisan Hilda Akins, 92, is the caregiver of her family. The eldest of four siblings, she cared for her 90-year-old sister, Muriel, who suffered from Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, for five years before Muriel died a few weeks ago. Before that, Hilda cared for their younger brother Virgil, who had dementia and died around five years ago. And if Hilda’s youngest brother, Charles, had survived World War II and needed care, she probably would have brought him into the fold, too.
Read more about the Caregiver of the Month for August.
Join us as we celebrate Missouri’s seniors with a full day of fun activities to promote healthy aging at Senior Day at the Missouri State Fair!
- April Caregiver of the Month: Mike Crew – click here to read Mike's story.
- May Caregiver of the month: Laura Davis – click here to read Laura’s story.
- June Caregiver of the Month: Nancy Wray – click here to read Nancy’s story.
- July Caregiver of the Month: Wildajean Boysaw – click here to read Wildajean’s story.
- 6 Signs of Caregiver Burnout
- 10 Ways to Manage Caregiver Stress
- 11 Inspiring Quotes for Caregivers
- ABCs of Respite: A Consumer Guide for Family Caregivers
- Caregiving is Hard Enough. Isolation Can Make it Unbearable. - The New York Times
- Caregiving in the United States – 2015 AARP Report
- Alzheimer’s Association
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) - Sign Up to be on the NIA for
Caregivers List and Receive Helpful Information and Tips
- Elder Care Locator
- Help for First Time Caregivers
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Preparing Your Home for Safe Mobility – AARP
- United Way 2-1-1
- Missouri Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- Mo HealthNet (Medicaid) Application
- Home & Community Based Services
- Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation of the Elderly and Disabled