Caregivers in Missouri
2017 - The Year of the Caregiver in Missouri
DHSS Declares Nancy Wray as
Caregiver of the Year!
Nancy Wray, a teacher and caregiver for her husband with multiple sclerosis, recalls fondly the day they met. Her handsome future husband, Tom, was drinking soda and yacking it up with his fellow cattle farmers at the local gas station in tiny Theodosia, Missouri, in Ozark County. Tom relished the early-morning camaraderie before he began his solitary work day.
Since then, life has changed dramatically for Nancy and Tom, who was diagnosed with a progressive form of multiple sclerosis (MS) nine years ago.
Read more about the Caregiver of the Year.
- April Caregiver of the Month: Mike Crew – click here to read Mike's story.
- May Caregiver of the month: Laura Davis – click here to read Laura’s story.
- June Caregiver of the Month: Nancy Wray – click here to read Nancy’s story.
- July Caregiver of the Month: Wildajean Boysaw – click here to read Wildajean’s story.
- August Caregiver of the Month: Hilda Akins – click here to read Hilda’s story
- September Caregiver of the Month: Janet Colvin – click here to read Janet’s story
- October Caregiver of the Month: Preston Moore – click here to read Preston’s story
- November Caregiver of the Month: Joanne Lewis – click here to read Joanne’s story
Alzheimer’s and the Holidays
Do you know of a caregiver who is stressed around the holidays? Click here to read about ways to help them find joy in the season.
- 6 Signs of Caregiver Burnout
- 10 Ways to Manage Caregiver Stress
- Taking Care of YOU: Self-Care for Family Caregivers
- 11 Inspiring Quotes for Caregivers
- ABCs of Respite: A Consumer Guide for Family Caregivers
- Caregiving is Hard Enough. Isolation Can Make it Unbearable. - The New York Times
- Caregiving in the United States – 2015 AARP Report
- Alzheimer’s Association
- Caregiver Action Network
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) - Sign Up to be on the NIA for
Caregivers List and Receive Helpful Information and Tips
- Elder Care Locator
- Help for First Time Caregivers
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Preparing Your Home for Safe Mobility – AARP
- United Way 2-1-1
- Missouri Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- Mo HealthNet (Medicaid) Application
- Home & Community Based Services
- Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation of the Elderly and Disabled