Caregivers in Missouri
2017 - The Year of the Caregiver in Missouri
Do you know someone who puts their life on hold to care for an ill family member or friend? If so, the Department of Health and Senior Services invites you to nominate that person for Caregiver of the Year.
The department will feature a story and photo of an unpaid caregiver each month. By December, an overall Caregiver of the Year will be selected. Click here for the nomination form and the photo release form. Send both forms, along with a digital photo of the caregiver, to Becca.Coffelt@health.mo.gov.
Caregiver of the Month
Preston Moore, 40, gives one simple reason for why he became his mother’s caregiver. "I couldn’t stand to see her cry in the nursing home."
Read more about the Caregiver of the Month for October.
- April Caregiver of the Month: Mike Crew – click here to read Mike's story.
- May Caregiver of the month: Laura Davis – click here to read Laura’s story.
- June Caregiver of the Month: Nancy Wray – click here to read Nancy’s story.
- July Caregiver of the Month: Wildajean Boysaw – click here to read Wildajean’s story.
- August Caregiver of the Month: Hilda Akins – click here to read Hilda’s story
- September Caregiver of the Month: Janet Colvin – click here to read Janet’s story
October 1-7 is Mental Illness Awareness Week
When a friend or family member develops a mental health condition, it’s important to know that you’re not alone. Many Americans have experienced caring for a person with mental illness. 1 in 25 American’s live with a serious Mental Health Disease. - NAMI
- 6 Signs of Caregiver Burnout
- 10 Ways to Manage Caregiver Stress
- Taking Care of YOU: Self-Care for Family Caregivers
- 11 Inspiring Quotes for Caregivers
- ABCs of Respite: A Consumer Guide for Family Caregivers
- Caregiving is Hard Enough. Isolation Can Make it Unbearable. - The New York Times
- Caregiving in the United States – 2015 AARP Report
- Alzheimer’s Association
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) - Sign Up to be on the NIA for
Caregivers List and Receive Helpful Information and Tips
- Elder Care Locator
- Help for First Time Caregivers
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Preparing Your Home for Safe Mobility – AARP
- United Way 2-1-1
- Missouri Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- Mo HealthNet (Medicaid) Application
- Home & Community Based Services
- Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation of the Elderly and Disabled