Caregivers in Missouri
Missouri’s Caregiver of the Year
Do you know someone who puts their life on hold to care for an ill family member or friend? If so, the Department of Health and Senior Services invites you to nominate that person for Caregiver of the Year. * Year of the Caregiver Flyer*
The department will feature a story and photo of an unpaid caregiver each month. By December, an overall Caregiver of the Year will be selected. Click here for the nomination form and the photo release form. Send both forms, along with a digital photo of the caregiver, to Becca.Coffelt@health.mo.gov.
April Caregiver of the Month
"A lot of people do not realize how much work goes into caregiving until they are put into the situation. I don’t feel like I’m an expert at this, I just do what feels right, by doing right by my mother."
Read more about the Caregiver of the Month for April
April is Stress Awareness Month. One in three caregivers rate their stress level as high, and half say they have less time to spend with family and friends. ~ AARP
Learn 10 Ways to Deal with Caregiver Stress
2018 Caregivers of the Month
- January 2018 Caregiver of the Month: Rachel Hiles – click here to read Rachel's story.
- February 2018 Caregiver of the Month: Maxine Hessel – click here to read Maxine's story.
- March 2018 Caregiver of the Month: Sheryl Suski – click here to read Sheryl's story.
2017 Caregivers of the Month
- April 2017 Caregiver of the Month: Mike Crew – click here to read Mike's story.
- May 2017 Caregiver of the month: Laura Davis – click here to read Laura’s story.
- June 2017 Caregiver of the Month: Nancy Wray – click here to read Nancy’s story.
- July 2017 Caregiver of the Month: Wildajean Boysaw – click here to read Wildajean’s story.
- August 2017 Caregiver of the Month: Hilda Akins – click here to read Hilda’s story
- September 2017 Caregiver of the Month: Janet Colvin – click here to read Janet’s story
- October 2017 Caregiver of the Month: Preston Moore – click here to read Preston’s story
- November 2017 Caregiver of the Month: Joanne Lewis – click here to read Joanne’s story
- 6 Signs of Caregiver Burnout
- 10 Ways to Manage Caregiver Stress
- Caregiving is the Hallmark of the African American Community
- Taking Care of YOU: Self-Care for Family Caregivers
- 11 Inspiring Quotes for Caregivers
- ABCs of Respite: A Consumer Guide for Family Caregivers
- Caregiving is Hard Enough. Isolation Can Make it Unbearable. - The New York Times
- Caregiving in the United States – 2015 AARP Report
- Alzheimer’s Association
- Caregiver Action Network
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) - Sign Up to be on the NIA for
Caregivers List and Receive Helpful Information and Tips
- Elder Care Locator
- Help for First Time Caregivers
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Preparing Your Home for Safe Mobility – AARP
- United Way 2-1-1
- Missouri Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- Mo HealthNet (Medicaid) Application
- Home & Community Based Services
- Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation of the Elderly and Disabled