Health Professional Loan Repayment
Applications are accepted from January 1 to March 1, each calendar year.
- Submit your application electronically by accessing the NLRP Electronic Application Submission
Pay Online - JetPay Payment ServicesIf you are making payments on your Nurse Loan Repayment Program (NLRP) award, you may utilize the on-line payment platform in lieu of mailing your payments to the department.
Missouri Nurse Student Loan and Loan Repayment
Nurse Loan Repayment Program
The Nurse Loan Repayment Program (NLRP) is a competitive state program that awards funding to qualifying licensed Missouri Registered and Advanced Practice Nurses for the repayment of eligible educational loans. Applicants must meet the qualifications associated with the program provisions and agree to practice in a Missouri underserved area, which is also referred to as a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA).
Program Provisions are found in the NLRP Policies and Procedures and the NLRP Code of State Regulations (CSR) (19 CSR 10-6.010).
Who is Eligible to Apply?
The applicant must meet all of the following(Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) does not qualify for the NLRP)::
- A current Missouri Licensed Nurse with an associate degree, a diploma, a bachelor of science degree, or graduate degree from an accredited institution approved by the Missouri Board of Nursing:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Advanced Practice Nurse (APN)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP); or
- A student nurse in the final full year of a full-time school of nursing leading to a Bachelor of Science Degree or a graduate degree program leading to a Master’s Degree in Nursing.
- Under no Conflicting Service Obligation with the exception of service in the National Guard or military reserve.
- Recipient must be willing to serve in a HPSA in Missouri, which is employment on a full-time basis in Missouri in a position requiring a current Missouri licensed nurse in any hospital as defined in section 197.020 or in any agency, institution, or organization located in a HPSA.
Maximum Loan Repayment Amounts Awarded per Year
- $10,000.00 for eligible Registered Nurses (RN)
- $20,000.00 for eligible Advanced Practice Nurses (APN, NP, CRNA, FNP)
Repayment of Loans/Service Obligation
The NLRP recipients earn forgiveness on their loan repayment award through a service obligation. This means you must work in a position requiring your licensure and within your scope of practice in a HPSA. The minimum obligation is two years, per each individual award.
Qualifying employment is considered as full-time, direct patient care at any hospital in the State of Missouri or at any facility located in a HPSA. You can search for HPSAs here.
Staffing and travel nurse agencies, private for-profit facilities, and clinics in prisons and correctional facilities may not be eligible facilities because they may not be serving Missourians in a HPSA.
Before You Apply
- Carefully understand all the program provisions found in 19 CSR 10-6.010.
- You must understand all the program provisions, penalties, and how contract breaches occur.
- There are serious penalties associated with breaching program contracts, which could result in paying back the entire loan amount awarded to you including interest.
- All funds awarded accrue an annual interest rate of 9.5% from the date the loan is disbursed.
NLRP Rules, Policies and Procedures
- NLRP Regulations, (19 CSR 10-6.010)
- NLRP Policies and Procedures 2019 (Contact the program for policies and procedures)
- NLRP Application
- Applications are accepted from January 1 to March 1, each calendar year
- NLRP Employment Verification Form
- Student and Employment Verification Forms and Electronic Submission
- NLRP Contract
- NLRP Flyer
Nurse Student Loan Repayment Program (NLRP)
Office of Rural Health and Primary Care
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
P.O. Box 570, 912 Wildwood
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0570
Email (Preferred Method of Contact): DHSS.LoanRepayment@health.mo.gov