Missouri Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) would like child care providers to successfully support breastfeeding families. Breastfeeding gives moms and babies many health benefits- yet many moms worry that going back to work will make it hard to breastfeed. Helping moms continue to breastfeed can be done with just a little time and resources. Becoming a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care is a voluntary recognition program available to Missouri child care facilities.
To receive the award, child care providers must meet the below criteria that aim to improve the support for breastfeeding women in the workforce. Successful applicants will receive a certificate, window cling and recognition on our website. Please click here for a list of facilities that have been recognized as a "Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care".
Requirements for a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Facility
Child care facilities must also be recognized as a Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite. The application is available here and can be sent with the Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care application.
- Has a written policy that reflects their support of breastfeeding. See Sample Lactation Support Policy
- Provides a welcoming environment for breastfeeding families
- Offers breastfeeding resources to parents
- Feeds infants on demand and communicates with moms about feeding preferences
- Trains staff to support breastfeeding parents
To achieve Breastfeeding Friendly recognition:
Send this completed application and a copy of required records to the address below. Forms can be mailed, emailed or faxed. Child care providers that answer “Yes” to all of the criteria questions will be designated as a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care. For more information on becoming a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care, contact the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services at the contact below.
Read application instructions and send a completed application to:
Karla Voss, Bureau of Community Health and Wellness
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
P O Box 570
920 Wildwood Dr
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Phone: (573) 751-6197
Fax: (573) 522-2856
Being recognized as a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care facility can be a marketing tool that will attract mothers who have made a commitment to breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding Friendly Resources
Where can I find more information on breastfeeding?
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Breastfeeding Program explains the benefits of breastfeeding.
- The Missouri Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite Program educates worksites on the value of providing lactation support in the worksite and to recognize businesses that support their breastfeeding employees.
- Missouri Breastfeeding Coalition
Employer support of breastfeeding provides many benefits to businesses:
- Cost savings of $3 per $1 invested in nursing support
- Reduced absenteeism to care for sick children because breastfed infants have less illness
- Lower health care costs
- Improved employee productivity with higher morale and greater employee loyalty
- Increased ability to attract and retain valuable employees
- Family-friendly image in the community
Are you interested in becoming a recognized Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite?
Contact Lisa Schlientz, MPH, IBCLC, State Breastfeeding Coordinator
Department of Health and Senior Services/WIC and Nutrition Services
P.O. Box 570, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0570
Phone: (573) 751-6468