If you are having difficulty, please contact the Health Education Unit at 573-526-5686 Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.

How to transfer your Certified Nurse's Assistant (CNA) Certification to Missouri from another State.

CNA’s coming from another state must take the exam as Missouri does NOT have reciprocity with other states.

If you are transferring from another state to Missouri, you are eligible to request to challenge the MO CNA exam. Challenging: individuals who meet special criteria are NOT required to take the entire certified nurse assistant course but rather will be allowed to take just the final examination (written and practical) to become a CNA in Missouri.

If you would like to request to challenge, please submit the following documents.

Each request must include the following:

  • A clear copy of the individual's social security card;
  • A copy of your driver’s license;
  • A current return address;
  • A copy of your out of state CNA certificate or it may be a print out from their registry;
  • daytime telephone number;
  • If current active dates or employments dates are not tracked on your state's register you must submit proof of employment verification within the last 2 years.

Where to submit my documents?
You may submit your documents by mail, fax or email to the contact information in the bottom right corner of this page.

Please allow 7-10 business days to process your request.

You will receive correspondence once your request has been reviewed. If you are approved to challenge the exam, your letter will explain how set up the exam.

*If you need more information on the criteria to challenge the exam, you may follow the link below:
Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA)

This Registry also includes Approved Instructors, Examiners and Clinical Supervisors.

Federal Regulation 42 CFR 483.75 requires the Registry to document any findings against a CNA of Abuse, Neglect, or Misappropriation of property. If these acts occur while the individual is employed as a CNA in a federally certified Medicaid and/or Medicare long-term care facility or long-term care wing of a hospital, the Registry will show the individual has a Federal Indicator and is prohibited from working in a certified facility.

Certified long-term care facilities and the long-term care wing of a hospital are prohibited from employing a person, in any capacity, whose name appears on the Registry with a Federal Indicator. These providers are required to check the Registry before hiring an individual and they may not continue to employ a person whose name appears on the Registry with a Federal Indicator.

CNA Registry verification is required of employers before allowing an individual to serve as a Certified Nurse Assistant. The employer must seek Registry verification from all states the facility believes will have information on the individual.

The Registry also lists those LPNs and RNs who are approved by the Department of Health and Senior Services to be instructors, examiners and clinical supervisors for the CNA, CMT, LIMA and Insulin Administration courses.