Adult Tool Kit for Health Care Providers
Activity & Nutrition Tool Kit
Health care providers play a crucial role in promoting healthy eating and physical activity habits among our population. Almost two-thirds of Missouri adults are overweight or obese. At the same time only 17.6% received advice about their weight from a doctor, nurse, or other health professional indicating a need for resources for providers to address this issue with their patients.
A collaborative team of Missouri health care leaders called upon their experiences with addressing the growing obesity epidemic to determine what resources to include in this tool kit. Leaders represented health plans, academic medical centers, physician practices and other health care providers, including advance practice nurses and dietitians.
How will this tool kit impact your practice?
This tool kit proposes a model for the assessment and treatment of obesity in clinical practice, including assessment of risk factors for obesity, recommending lifestyle and behavior modifications and instituting pharmacologic therapy or surgery when appropriate. The tool kit resources summarize recommendations from the scientific literature and expert work groups related to adult obesity.
Thank you for joining MoCAN’s efforts to reverse obesity trends by utilizing these resources developed by health care providers for health care providers.
The Adult Tool Kit contains the following valuable resources:
All toolkit resources in (.pdf) format
- How to Use This Tool Kit
- Physician Resources
- Pocket Guide — Assessment and Treatment of Adult Overweight and Obesity
- Body Mass Index (BMI) Chart
- Missouri Consensus Diabetes Management Guideline for Adults (15 page guide is available by clicking on title)
- State of Missouri Consensus Screening Guidelines for Pre-diabetes and Diabetes in a Medical Setting
- Communication Guidelines to Promote Health Behavior Change
- Applying the Stages of Change Model to Assess Readiness
- Patient Readiness Checklist
- Tips for Nutrition Counseling
- Patient Handouts
- Are You Ready and Motivated to Lose Weight?
- Food Weight-Loss Tips
- Nutrition Facts Label—An Overview
- Tips for Dining Out
- Grocery Shopping Guide
- Making Physical Activity Part of Your Life: Tips for Being More Active
- Overcoming Barriers to Physical Activity
- Tips to Make Small Changes—That Add Up to Big Success
- Developing Your Success Plan!
- Goal Worksheet
- Personal Pledge to Better Health
- Daily Food and Activity Diary
- Resources and References
- Evaluation Form
The complete tool kit is also available for download.