October 5, 2020 WIC Updates
SUBJECT 1: Upcoming State Holiday
SUBJECT 2: WIC Invoicing/WIC24 Invoice
SUBJECT 3: Returned WIC Formula
JOB POSTING: Part-Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor – Affinia Healthcare
JOB POSTING: Part-Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor – St. Charles County Health Department
SUBJECT 1: Upcoming State Holiday. The WIC state agency will be closed, and there will be no MOWINS Help Desk support, on Monday, October 12.
SUBJECT 2: WIC Invoicing/WIC24 Invoice. When creating a Budget Adjustment or Invoice in the Online WIC Invoicing (WIC-24) application, please double check the Federal Fiscal Year (FFY). After October 1, the FFY for Budget Adjustments automatically defaults to 2021. If you have any questions, please contact Laura Thompson at Laura.Thompson@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7901.
SUBJECT 3: Returned WIC Formula. Effective October 1, 2020, local agencies (LA) shall no longer re-issue formula returned to the clinic by a participant, according to WIC Policy Memorandum #2020-1 Donation of Unused, Returned Infant Formula (see attachment). FNS recommends WIC clinics dispose of unused, returned WIC formula in accordance with state and local health and safety laws. The state agency (SA) is seeking guidance from the state’s legal counsel and a formal policy will follow with additional guidelines. Please see below for current recommendations on participant education and disposal of formula.
- LA staff must educate participants on the following:
- Caregivers should be encouraged to purchase only one (1) can of formula initially, to determine tolerance and acceptance of the product.
- Selling, trading, gifting or attempting to sell, trade, or gift WIC food benefits qualifies as a participant violation. Refer to policy 10.1.020.
- LA staff shall dispose of all returned formula using the following guidance:
- Completely empty the contents of the returned formula container prior to throwing it away. For example, concentrate or ready-to-use formula shall be poured into a sink before the formula carton is placed in the trash.
- Containers of powder formula shall be opened and the contents mixed with other trash.
- Disposing in small batches to avoid large quantities of formula in the trash.
- The LA should educate participants not to purchase dented cans and to ensure that they are selecting food items that are not expired or close to expiring.
- Local agencies must ensure that no one is removing formula from the trash for consumption.
- Document in the participant’s file in the Missouri WIC Information Network System (MOWINS) the name of the formula, quantity, and the reason for formula return.
- Complete the WIC Returned Formula and Disposal Log (see attachment).
Please contact your nutrition TA staff or call the state agency at 1-800-392-8209 and ask for the state nutritionist on duty if you have any questions.
Part-Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor – Affinia Healthcare. The Affinia Healthcare WIC Program has an immediate opening for a part time (24 hours per week) Breastfeeding Peer Counselor position within the WIC Program. The selected candidate will give basic breastfeeding information, support and encouragement to new mothers and help mothers achieve their own breastfeeding goals. Candidate must be willing to accept after hour phone calls and make home and hospital visits. Personal breastfeeding experience is a must. Selected candidate will work 24 hours/week.
Send resume to Kristen Gore at Affinia Healthcare 2220 Lemp Ave or email firstname.lastname@example.org
JOB POSTING: Part-Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor – St. Charles County Health Department. The Saint Charles County (SCC) Health Department is currently accepting applications for Breastfeeding Peer Counselor position within the WIC Program. The selected candidate will give basic breastfeeding information and support to new mothers and help mothers achieve their own breastfeeding goals. Personal breastfeeding experience is a must. For detailed job description please visit SCC Human Resources Employment Opportunities website: https://hr.sccmo.org/MSS/employmentopportunities/default.aspx
All applications must be submitted only through the Saint Charles County Self-Service Website at http://hr.sccmo.org/hr
Faxed, e-mailed, or printed applications will not be accepted.
For questions, please contact Eva Obirek at email@example.com
Missouri WIC is an equal-opportunity employer.