April 29, 2019 WIC Updates
SUBJECT 1: FFY 2020 WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) Application Technical Training
SUBJECT 2: Revised and Discontinued Risk Criteria - Implementation Monday, May 6, 2019
SUBJECT 3: Updated Food and Formula Reference Guide (FFRG) and Formula Changes - Effective June 1, 2019
SUBJECT 4: WOM Policy Update: Effective May 1, 2019
JOB POSTING: Part Time WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - City of St. Joseph Health Department
JOB POSTING: Full Time WIC Nutritionist - City of St. Joseph Health Department
JOB POSTING: Registered Dietitian - St. Louis County Department of Public Health
SUBJECT 1: FFY 2020 WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) Training.FFY 2020 WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) Application Technical Training. LAP training will be conducted June 17, June 18, June 20, and June 21, 2019 at the Department of Health and Senior Services, 930 Wildwood Drive, Jefferson City, MO in the Maple Conference Room. This one-day training focuses on how to use the administrative and nutritional screens in the LAP application. Attendees will log into a test environment and practice making entries to learn how information is entered and used in the application. The training is optional, but is strongly recommended for new LAP users and those who would like a refresher. Training laptops will be provided. Click here for more information and to register for the training located under Program Management, Face to Face training, Local Agency Plan (LAP). The deadline to register is 4:00 p.m. on May 29, 2019. If you have any questions, please contact Susan Hatton at Susan.Hatton@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7706.
SUBJECT 2: Revised and Discontinued Nutrition Risk Criteria - Implementation Monday, May 6, 2019. Please review information posted in the WIC Update message April 8th. The USDA definitions and justifications and Missouri WIC Program Risk Factor Summary Sheet for Participants will be posted on the WIC website on May 3, 2019. Please note the summary of changes below:
- Revised RF assignment
- 501 Possibility of Regression: The risk factor definition/cut-off value and justification sections were revised to limit the use of regression as a nutrition risk criterion to only one time following a certification. Revised program categoryto include infants.
- 902 Woman or Infant/Child of Primary Caregiver with Limited Ability to Make Feeding Decisions and/or Prepare Food: The risk factor definition/cut-off value was expanded to include intellectual disability and misuse of prescription medications. Revised program category to include all women.
New definition/cut-off value: A woman or an infant/child whose primary caregiver is assessed to have a limited ability to make appropriate feeding decisions and/or prepare food.
- New risk factor description
- RF 341 Nutrient Deficiency or Disease
- RF 372 Alcohol and Substance Use
- Discontinued criteria
- 132 Maternal Weight Loss during Pregnancy: This risk factor criterion was incorporated into risk criterion 131 Low Maternal Weight Gain.
- In MOWINS the deactivated risk factor will be show as 132 (Deact.2019)
If you have any questions, please contact your district TA nutritionist.
SUBJECT 3: Updated Food and Formula Reference Guide (FFRG) and Formula Changes - Effective June 1, 2019. Due to the changes listed below, the FFRG - Formula Listing has been updated:
Enfamil EnfaCare (RTU): EnfaCare (RTU) has been reformulated to include MFGM (Milk Fat Globule Membrane). Changes shown below will be implemented in MOWINS effective June 1, 2019:
|Product Name||Enfamil EnfaCare||Enfamil NeuroPro EnfaCare|
|Size||(8 fl. oz.) 6 pack||32 fl. oz. bottle|
|Check Description||6-PACK (8 OZ) ENFACARE RTU||32 OZ ENFACARE NEUROPRO RTU|
- Effective June 1, 2019, WIC checks will print with the description “32 OZ ENFACARE NEUROPRO RTU”. A new Medical Documentation Form (WIC 27) will not be required until the current prescription for EnfaCare expires.
- Before printing checks for Enfamil NeuroPro EnfaCare (32 fl oz bottle), please contact participant’s preferred WIC retail store to confirm product availability.
- Retailers should be able to honor checks (6 packs) already issued before May 31, 2019, as long as there is stock available at the retailer and/or warehouse. If the retailer is unable to honor the formula request in the 8 fl oz 6 pack, the participants will need new checks re-issued for 32 fl oz from the local agency (LA).
- If the retailer does not have the full quantity of formula in stock that was issued on the check(s), the participant must receive a Partial WIC Formula Redemption form (WIC 21) from the retailer to take to the LA.
Enfamil EnfaCare (PWD): The new description for Enfamil EnfaCare (Powder) effective June 1, 2019 in MOWINS is shown below:
|Current Description||12.8 OZ ENFACARE OR ENFACARE NEUROPRO PWD|
|New Description||12.8 OZ ENFACARE NEUROPRO PWD|
Enfamil Premature High Protein (24 Cal): This product will no longer be available through the Missouri WIC program.
The updated FFRG-Formula Listing – Effective June 1, 2019 is available.
If you have questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov
SUBJECT 4: WOM Policy Update: Effective May 1, 2019 Policy 1.04900 Equipment Inventory will be updated on May 1, 2019. Changes to the policy include addition of anthropometric and eWIC equipment, biennially reconciling WIC equipment, retaining inventory list for a minimum of three (3) years, and recording the percent of WIC funds used if the equipment was purchased jointly. A copy with changes highlighted in yellow is attached below.
If you have questions about the equipment policy, please contact your administrative technical assistant.
JOB POSTING: Part Time WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - City of St. Joseph Health Department. The City of St. Joseph Health Department is currently accepting applications for a part-time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor position within the WIC Program. The selected candidate will give basic breastfeeding information, support and encouragement to pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers, and serve as a role model for breastfeeding women. To see further details and apply, visit the City of St. Joseph website at www.stjoemo.org and go to the line for “Job Opportunities” listed in the left column. The City of St. Joseph Health Department is an equal opportunity employer.
JOB POSTING: Full Time WIC Nutritionist - City of St. Joseph Health Department. The City of St. Joseph Health Department is currently accepting applications for a full-time Nutritionist position within the WIC Program. To see further details and apply, visit the City of St. Joseph website at www.stjoemo.org and go to the line for “Job Opportunities” listed in the left column. The City of St. Joseph Health Department is an equal opportunity employer.
JOB POSTING: Registered Dietitian - St. Louis County Department of Public Health. St. Louis County Department of Public Health has an opening for a Registered Dietitian. This is a full time position that provides Medical Nutrition Therapy and WIC services for health center patients.
For additional information or to apply online visit www.stlouisco.com/personnel/jobsearch