March 26, 2018 WIC Updates
SUBJECT 1: Enfamil Gentlease Ready-to-Use (RTU)
SUBJECT 2: WIC Developmental Milestones Program Survey Results
JOB POSTING: Health Educator - Columbia/Boone WIC Program
JOB POSTING: Part-Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - Family Care Health Centers
JOB POSTING: Part-Time WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - Affinia Healthcare
SUBJECT 1: Enfamil Gentlease Ready-to-Use (RTU). Mead Johnson is discontinuing Enfamil Gentlease RTU. On April 1st the Enfamil Gentlease RTU food description will be inactivated in MOWINS and can no longer be issued. Any WIC checks with Enfamil Gentlease RTU that have been issued prior to April 1st should be able to be redeemed at WIC authorized retailers. If a participant needs a RTU product, they will need to be issued one of the other contract formulas that are available in a RTU option. Enfamil Gentlease powder is still available. If you have any questions, please contact the state agency nutritionist that is on formula duty at 800-392-8209.
SUBJECT 2: WIC Developmental Milestones Program Survey Results. The WIC Developmental Milestones Program uses a set of checklists and family-friendly wall and floor graphics to increase parents’ awareness of developmental milestones and to promote the early identification of potential developmental delay. Between May and December 2017, 58% of Missouri’s WIC local agencies voluntarily enrolled in the program. Fifty-nine CPAs and nutritionists from participating agencies completed a survey that provided the following results:
- 100% were satisfied with the training video, implementation manual, and technical assistance provided
- 97% reported the checklists were easy to use
- 88% reported the program fits easily into clinic flow
- 83% reported the time the program adds to WIC appointments is five (5) minutes or less
- 31% reported the time the program adds to WIC appointment is two (2) minutes or less
- 97% reported the checklists helped them learn when to refer children with possible delays
- 98% reported that the program promotes healthy development
More than 75% of staff had referred one or more children with a possible developmental delay since they had begun using the program, promoting further assessment of developmental concerns and access to early intervention services. These positive findings are consistent with previous evaluations that have demonstrated the program’s benefits for parents, children, and WIC staff.
If you haven’t signed up yet, enrollment for the WIC Developmental Milestones Program is still open! The online application, introductory and training videos, and other information are easily accessible on the WIC Developmental Milestones website. For questions, please contact Bridgette Delgman-Yawberry at Bridgette.Delgman-Yawberry@health.mo.gov or 314-877-0205.
JOB POSTING: Health Educator - Columbia/Boone WIC Program.Under general direction of the WIC Program Coordinator the WIC Program Health Educator teaches group nutrition education at our WIC Program location at 1005 W. Worley Columbia, MO 65203. The WIC Program Health Educator performs a wide range of functions such as teaching program curricula to groups using presentation and counseling skills, adapting education messages to audience, and handling equipment needed for presentations. The position is currently scheduled for 25 hours per month on varied days and times.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to present ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate rapport building by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with WIC participants, WIC team members and other health and social services personnel.
- Maintains a courteous and respectful attitude toward all participants in the WIC Program.
- Basic computer skills and literacy in using Windows.
Must meet one of the following qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in dietetics, public health nutrition, human nutrition, nutritional sciences, nutrition and fitness, sports nutrition, restaurant and food service management, foods, family and consumer sciences, human environmental sciences, or home economics; including or supplemented by at least 15 semester hours in foods and nutrition from a 4-year program including at least one (1) course in diet therapy or medical nutrition therapy I & II and one (1) course in community nutrition or nutrition in the life cycle/life cycle nutrition; or
- A master's degree in public health nutrition, human nutrition, nutrition education, or dietetics from an accredited college or university; including or supplemented by at least 15 graduate or undergraduate semester hours in foods and nutrition from a 4-year program including at least one (1) course in diet therapy or medical nutrition therapy I & II and one (1) course in community nutrition or nutrition in the life cycle/life cycle nutrition.
Contact Erin Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and the link to the application.
JOB POSTING: Part-Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - Family Care Health Centers. Family Care Health Centers is accepting applications for a part-time (24 hrs./week) Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. Responsibilities include providing breastfeeding information and support to new mothers and helping them achieve their breastfeeding goals. Personal breastfeeding experience is required.
To apply, send resume to:
Amy Callico, RD, LD
Nutrition Services Coordinator
Family Care Health Centers
401 Holly Hills Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63111
(314) 353-5190 x3043
JOB POSTING: Part-Time WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - Affinia Healthcare. The Affinia Healthcare WIC Program has an immediate opening for a part time (24 hours per week) Breastfeeding Peer Counselor position within the WIC Program. The selected candidate will give basic breastfeeding information, support and encouragement to new mothers, and help mothers achieve their own breastfeeding goals. Candidate must be willing to accept after-hours phone calls and make home and hospital visits. Personal breastfeeding experience is a must. Selected candidate will work 24 hours/week.
Mail resume to:
2220 Lemp Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63106
Or email resume to email@example.com
WIC is an equal opportunity employer.