April 16, 2018 WIC Updates
SUBJECT 1: MOWINS Help Desk Closures
SUBJECT 2: FFY2019 WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) Training
SUBJECT 3: Update on WIC Resources
SUBJECT 4: Fundamentals of Breastfeeding: An 18 Hour Course
JOB POSTING: Part-Time WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - City of St. Joseph Health Department
SUBJECT 1: MOWINS Help Desk Closures The MOWINS Help Desk will be closed on the following date and time.
- April 26th from 3-4 p.m.
The MOWINS Help Desk will check email and voicemail frequently during the closure time and will respond as soon as possible.
SUBJECT 2: FFY2019 WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) Training. LAP training will be conducted June 25, 26, 28, and 29, 2018 at the Department of Health and Senior Services, 930 Wildwood Drive, Jefferson City, MO. Training will be held in the Maple Conference Room; you may bring your own laptop or reserve one for the day. This one-day training will cover both administrative and nutrition portions of the LAP and will consist of learning about the functionality of the application. The training is optional, but is strongly recommended for new LAP users and those who would like a refresher. For more information and to register for the training, under the Face-to-Face training, Local Agency Plan (LAP). The deadline to register is 4:00 p.m. on May 29, 2018. If you have any questions, please contact Susan Hatton at Susan.Hatton@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7706.
SUBJECT 3: Update on WIC Resources. Please see below for updates on the following WIC resources:
- WIC Lost/Stolen Check Report (WIC-32) - This report is no longer available in the DHSS warehouse. Please download from the WIC website and make copies as needed.
- NWA Calendars - NWA calendars will no longer be purchased by the state agency, but they are a WIC allowable expense and can be purchased by local agencies with prior approval.
- Exit Counseling (English #712) - This handout has been revised and renamed “Next Steps for Health.” It will be available in the DHSS warehouse soon.
- The following handouts are out of stock in the DHSS warehouse; they are being revised and will be reprinted. Until they are available, they may be printed from the Resources and Publications page on the WIC website
- Choose MyPlate for Pregnant, Breastfeeding, and Nonbreastfeeding Women (English #912)
- Substance Use Handout (English #508)
- Relief from Common Problems of Pregnancy Handout (English #51)
If you have any questions regarding nutrition handouts, please contact Michele Bailey at Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-751-6481.
SUBJECT 4: Fundamentals of Breastfeeding: An 18 Hour Course. The WIC state agency is hosting the “Fundamentals of Breastfeeding: An 18 Hour Course” at two locations in the state. This training is for nutritionists, nurses, and peer counselors who need a comprehensive course to prepare them to assist breastfeeding mothers with normal lactation and common breastfeeding challenges. Dates and training sites are scheduled for Kansas City on July 10-12, 2018 and St. Louis on July 17-19, 2018. Please register online. If you have questions, please contact Jamie Larson by email at Jamie.Larson@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-5270.
JOB POSTING: Part-Time WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - City of St. Joseph Health Department. The City of St. Joseph Health Department is currently accepting applications for a part-time Breastfeeding Peer Counselor position within the WIC Program. The selected candidate will give basic breastfeeding information, support and encouragement to pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers, and serve as a role model for breastfeeding women. To apply, visit the City of St. Joseph website at www.stjoemo.org and go to the line for “Job Opportunities” listed in the left column. Applications will be accepted through April 12, 2018. The City of St. Joseph Health Department is an equal opportunity employer.