WIC Local Agency
January 23, 2017 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: State Breastfeeding Coordinator
SUBEJCT 2: Microcuvette and Analyzer - Response Requested
SUBJECT 3: Upcoming Holidays
SUBJECT 4: WIC Record Destruction
SUBJECT 1: State Breastfeeding Coordinator. We are pleased to announce that Lisa Schlientz has accepted the position as State Breastfeeding Coordinator. Lisa has a bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, a master’s degree in Public Health, and is an IBCLC. She previously worked for the DHSS Bureau of Community Food and Nutrition Assistance Programs facilitating the Eat Smart and MOve Smart Child Care Programs. Before that she has worked several years as a nutritionist at a local WIC agency. Lisa will be managing the WIC breastfeeding program along with other state breastfeeding initiatives outside of WIC. Lisa can be reached by email at Lisa.Schlientz@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-751-6468.
SUBJECT 2: Microcuvette and Analyzer - Response Requested. It is time to order microcuvettes by completing the survey. Please follow the instructions below to assure your agency receives an appropriate supply of microcuvettes and/or analyzers:
- Microcuvette Survey: Please complete and return the attached survey via e-mail to WICOperations@health.mo.gov by Tuesday, February 7, 2017. This will assure no interruption in the supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Order: The information from the survey will be used to identify the current supply on hand at each agency and to estimate the needs of each agency for the next six months. The microcuvette order will be shipped directly to your agency.
- Analyzers: Analyzers are also available to agencies by completing the request and justification. Tell us why you need the analyzer: replace current analyzer; expand services in another room or at another satellite site; more efficient work flow; other: explain.
Local Agency Confirmation: When you receive the order, please do the following:
- Verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip.
- If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip.
- Fax the packing slip to the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is (573) 526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes.
If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Beth Ott at 800-392-8209. Thank you for your cooperation.
SUBJECT 3: Upcoming Holidays. The State WIC Office will be closed and there will be no MOWINS Help Desk coverage on Lincoln Day, February 13, 2017 and Washington’s Birthday, February 20, 2017.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
SUBJECT 4: WIC Record Destruction. Attached is the current letter on audit closure and WIC record destruction for records from Federal Fiscal Year 2011 (through September 30, 2011) and older, unless prohibited from doing so by other state or local restrictions. At the time of destruction, all audits should be closed and there should be no outstanding findings or related issues. Please refer to WIC Operations Manual (WOM) ER # 1.06000 on Local WIC Provider Record Retention and Destruction. That policy will direct you on how to properly destroy WIC records and document the destruction. It will also provide you with a link to state law that covers records that your agency’s legal counsel or governing body have determined to be medical records. Please contact your district administrative technical assistance staff with any questions. (ONE ATTACHMENT)