WIC Local Agency
September 28, 2015 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Food Item Description Changes in MOWINS - Effective October 1, 2015
SUBJECT 2: Breast Pump Order
SUBJECT 3: Revision 13 Risk Factor Changes Update
SUBJECT 4: 2016 National WIC Association Calendars - Shipping Plan
SUBJECT 5: Updated WIC Food Website
SUBJECT 6: New WIC Education Resource - Gluten-Free Food Guide
JOB OPENING: Nutritionist - Crescent Clinic WIC (Jackson County, MO)
JOB OPENING: WIC BREASTFEEDING PEER COUNSELOR - ST. CHARLES COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
SUBJECT 1: Food Item Description Changes in MOWINS - Effective October 1, 2015. Please see the attached list of changes to food descriptions in MOWINS - Effective October 1, 2015. We have received new guidance from our contractor about the reset/update process. Before doing reset/update, close the clinic application window, but make sure that the “W” icon is still open in the lower taskbar tray. When the clinic application window is open, it locks the data files on the workstation, which doesn’t always allow the necessary updates to occur.
Please remember you cannot issue both the 4 oz. singles and the twin packs of baby food to the participant on one check. You must ask the participant before issuing the baby food, which they prefer to be issued. Not all retailers will carry both singles and twin packs; you may want to check with the WIC retailers in your area to find out what they carry (4 oz. singles or the twin packs).
With some of the changes going into effect Oct 1 please remember to check the participant food prescription before printing checks/benefits.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
SUBJECT 2: Breast Pump Order. Medela will begin shipping the breast pump order very soon. Please remember that the following procedure must be followed in order to verify receipt of shipment for payment and to send the required WIC tags:
- Immediately upon receipt of shipment, please locate the packing slip and verify that your agency received the products and quantities stated.
- Sign the packing slip to verify the order is correct.
- Fax the signed packing slip to the state WIC office at 573-526-1470. WIC tags will be mailed upon receipt of your packing slip.
- If your agency did not receive what was stated on the packing slip, please contact the state WIC office immediately.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by telephone at 573-526-4792
SUBJECT 3: Revision 13 Risk Factor Changes Update. The following is additional information and clarification regarding changes to the risk factors that will be effective on November 1, 2015:
- Guidance for Screening and Referring Women with or At Risk for Depression: USDA recently provided additional guidance for use in screening and referring women with or at risk for depression when assigning Risk Factor 361 Depression. Please refer to the attached document for this information as well as information on Core WIC Nutrition Services located in the attached document that support women with or at risk for depression. This USDA justification and guidance memo referenced the need for training to address how WIC staff would identify, counsel and refer women with postpartum depression. The state WIC office will be reviewing and evaluating materials to determine how to best provide trainings for LWP staff to address this health risk.
- Risk Factor 381 (Oral Health Conditions) requires a Health Care Professional, Physician, or Dentist to diagnose, document, or report the presence of oral health conditions in order to assign the risk factor. The participant/caregiver may self-report a diagnosis of an oral health condition. The risk factor may not be assigned based solely upon self-diagnosis by the participant or WIC staff. MOWINS will no longer auto-assign Risk Factor 381 from the initial questions in the Nutrition Assessment tab. Risk Factor 381 can be manually assigned when the risk factor criteria is applicable. With input from LWP staff, changes will be made to the Follow-Up questions and Mid-Certification Assessment questions within the Nutrition Assessment tab at a later date.
- Risk Factor 411 (Inappropriate Nutrition Practices for Infants). Please note that the USDA definition for 411.9 has “Failure to clean baby bottle properly” listed under ‘Examples of Inappropriate Nutrition Practices’ and the risk factor may be assigned as a result of this. Published guidelines on sanitary preparation of formula are outlined in the USDA WIC Works Resource System handout. Missouri WIC will revise its formula preparation handout at a later date.
As a reminder, the Rev. 13 Nutrition Risk Factor Changes and information were posted in the August 24, 2015 WIC Updates. Please scroll to the bottom of the page within the Aug. 24, 2015 WIC Updates and open the two PDF documents for training information:
- MOWINS Changes - WIC Updates 10-1 11-1 12-1 2015
- Risk Factor Policies - ER 2.03200, 2.03900, 2.04475, 2.04550 & Summary Table
Once training has been provided to staff by the Nutrition Coordinator, please be sure to take a few minutes to complete the Revision 13 Nutrition Risk Factor Changes Training Acknowledgement survey by October 16, 2015. Links for the survey were sent by email to Nutrition Coordinators on September 1st.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact your district nutritionist for technical assistance. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
SUBJECT 4: 2016 National WIC Association Calendars - Shipping Plan. The State WIC Office plans to begin shipping the 2016 National WIC Association calendars to local WIC providers during the week of November 2, 2015. If your agency would like to receive these calendars in December, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov by Monday, October 5, 2015.
SUBJECT 5: Updated WIC Food Website. The WIC Food website is being updated and the following resources are available:
- New WIC Approved Food List in 16 Different Languages
The new WIC approved food List in different languages is available through the link below:
Participants are able to access food lists from the link using their smartphone.
- WIC Approved Foods - Education Resources
Resources related to the WIC approved foods are available through the link below:
If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at TakakoTagami@health.mo.gov
SUBJECT 6: New WIC Education Resource - Gluten-Free Food Guide. The Gluten Free Food Guide handout is a new nutrition education resource for participants who are assigned Risk Factor 354. Please feel free to begin using it as needed.
If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at TakakoTagami@health.mo.gov. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
JOB OPENING: Nutritionist - Crescent Clinic WIC (Jackson County, MO). Crescent Clinic WIC has an opening for a Nutritionist/Dietitian for the WIC program 32 hours per week. This position will be responsible for determining eligibility of WIC participants and providing nutrition & breastfeeding counseling to WIC participants. Applicants must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Dietetics, Nutrition, Foods and Nutrition, Home Economics, or closely related field, with at least 15 semester hours in Human Nutrition including courses in Diet Therapy and Community Nutrition. WIC experience preferred but not required. Certification as a Registered Dietitian is not required. This position is open until filled. Please fax resume and cover letter to 816-763-1488 or email to email@example.com. May also apply in person. WIC is an equal opportunity employer
JOB OPENING: WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor - St. Charles County Health Department. The Saint Charles County (SCC) Health Department is currently accepting applications for Breastfeeding Peer Counselor position within the WIC Program. The selected candidate will give basic breastfeeding information and support to new mothers and help mothers achieve their own breastfeeding goals. Personal breastfeeding experience is a must. For detailed job description please visit SCC Human Resources Employment Opportunities website https://hr.sccmo.org/MSS/employmentopportunities/default.aspx
All applications must be submitted only through the Saint Charles County Self-Service Website at http://hr.sccmo.org/hr Faxed, e-mailed or printed applications will not be accepted. For questions, please contact Eva Obirek at firstname.lastname@example.org