WIC Local Agency
May 19, 2014 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Dangers of Drinking Raw Milk
SUBJECT 2: 2014 WIC Conference October 19 - 21, 2014 Save the Date
SUBJECT 3: WIC Final Food Package Rule Implementation Schedule
SUBJECT 4: VENA webinar: The Journey in Massachusetts-From Theory to Practice May 28 Save the Date
SUBJECT 5: Updated Food & Formula Reference Guide (FFRG) - Effective June 1, 2014 SUBJECT 6: 2014 WIC Conference 40th Celebration Selfie Pictures and Stories
SUBJECT 7: MOWINS Hot Topics
SUBJECT 8: FFY 2015 LAP Training
SUBJECT 9: Change to ER 1.01700, Participant Confidentiality Policy
SUBJECT 10: May WIC Invoices
SUBJECT 11: Retirement Announcement
Raw Milk: The State WIC office has become aware that some WIC participants may be consuming raw milk instead of the WIC Authorized milk. As we serve a vulnerable population that is at nutrition risk, this is a concern. The DHSS Bureau of Environmental Health Services has provided the two attached articles which provide more information about raw milk. These articles and the websites below are resources for talking with a participant who might have questions about raw milk.
The following is from the AAP regarding raw milk: Consumption of raw milk or milk products can result in severe and life-threatening illnesses such as miscarriage and stillbirths in pregnant women, and meningitis and blood-borne infections in both young infants and pregnant women,” said Yvonne Maldonado, MD, FAAP, the lead author of the policy statement. “Before pasteurization of milk began in the United States in the 1920s, consumption of raw dairy products accounted for a significant proportion of foodborne illnesses among Americans, and resulted in hundreds of outbreaks of tuberculosis and other serious infections.”
Today, an estimated 1 percent to 3 percent of all dairy products consumed in the U.S. are not pasteurized. From 1998 to 2009, consumption of raw milk products in the U.S. resulted in 1,837 illnesses, 195 hospitalizations, 93 illness outbreaks, and two deaths. The risks involved with infections due to consuming raw milk are particularly high for pregnant women and their fetuses, as well as for young children.
“Raw milk poses a significant health risk, since the process of obtaining fresh milk from cows and goats can be fraught with risks of contamination both while milking the animals and during storage,” said Mary Glodé, MD, FAAP, a co-author of the policy statement. “Pasteurized milk and milk products are extraordinarily healthy, nutritious and safe for children. We are fortunate to have pasteurized products easily available for our entire population.”
If you have questions, please contact your District TA Nutritionist. (TWO ATTACHMENTS)
2014 WIC Conference October 19 - 21, 2014 Save the Date!: The 2014 WIC Conference is planned for October 19 - 21 at the Holiday Inn Executive Center, 2200 Interstate Dr. SW, Columbia, MO 65203. We are very fortunate to have NWA President and CEO, Reverend Douglas Greenaway welcoming us to the conference. We will also be celebrating the 40th Anniversary of WIC on Sunday evening beginning at 5:30 and are fortunate to have Gail Vasterling, DHSS Director opening the celebration. The draft WIC Conference at a Glance is attached.
- Hotel room rate: $89.95
- Registration fee: $220 (The state WIC office has tentative plans to pay the registration fee for agency staff to attend, which will be dependent upon agency caseload.)
- Registration on Sunday, October 19th will be: 10:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
You must register for the conference in order to attend the conference. More details will be coming soon. If you have questions contact Rhonda Breitenbecher at firstname.lastname@example.org. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
WIC Final Food Package Rule Implementation Schedule: As you know we are gradually implementing the final food package rule that USDA published March 4, 2014. The cash value voucher (CVV) for children is increasing from $6.00 to $8.00 effective June 1, 2014. Also effective June 1, only 1 pound of cheese may be substituted for milk, even with medical documentation. For fully breastfeeding moms, 2 pounds may be substituted. The WOM policy #2.06950 Cash Value Benefit/Voucher has been revised and approved by USDA and it will be updated in the WOM on the web on June 1. More WOM policies will be revised to adhere to the final food package rule. Once they are revised and approved by USDA we will notify you of those WOM policy updates.
We are planning trainings in August 2014 and will be sending out that schedule soon. The trainings will take place in different locations in Missouri. Attached is a full list of other changes in the food packages and when those changes will be made. Some changes require an enhancement in MOWINS thus we could not implement them until June of 2015. If you have questions, please discuss with your District TA Nutritionist. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- VENA Webinar-The Journey in Massachusetts-From Theory to Practice, May 28: The next Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) webinar is scheduled for May 28, 1:00 - 2:00. As more information is sent to us we will send it to the LWPS. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
Updated Food & Formula Reference Guide (FFRG) - Effective June 1, 2014: Please share the following attached items with your staff.
- FFRG - Formula listing
- FFRG - Guidelines
- Notification of a final food rule about cheese issuance
- 2014 WIC Conference 40th Celebration Selfie Pictures and Stories: As you know we are making plans for the WIC 40th Celebration. We hope you all will take the time to provide us stories and selfies (pictures) of you, your WIC staff and participants. This will make the celebration even more fun. Attached is a poster of selfies you can post in your clinic to encourage staff and participants to submit seflies and their WIC stories. Attached is also a release form for stories and pictures. (TWO ATTACHMENTS)
MOWINS Hot Topics: The next MOWINS Hot Topics session will be Thursday, June 5, 2014 from 8:30 am to 10:30 am and will feature system issues related to workarounds and defects in MOWINS. It will consist of a live webinar and a conference call with WIC Help Desk staff. MOWINS Hot Topics sessions are open to all LWP staff, but registration is required. The link to register can be accessed here. Once a registration has been completed, a confirmation will be sent within 48 business hours providing additional details. A computer with a network connection is necessary to participate.
Previous sessions along with future dates and topics for the MOWINS Hot Topic sessions are posted on the MOWINS webpage. We would like to hear from you. Please click here to submit topics for future MOWINS Hot Topic sessions.
Please contact the WIC Help Desk via email at email@example.com or by calling 800-554-2544 with any questions.
FFY 2015 LAP Training: Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2015 WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) training will be conducted at the Department’s ITSD Training Room, 920 Wildwood Dr., Jefferson City on June 23, 24, 25, 26 and 27, 2014. This year's training is optional, but is strongly recommended for new LAP users. The training registration form (attached) is also available at http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/localagency/training/ and must be submitted by June 2, 2014.
If you have questions, please contact Debby Hanlon at Debby.Hanlon@health.mo.gov or 573-751-6196 or 800-392-8209. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
Change to ER 1.01700, Participant Confidentiality Policy: Effective June 1, 2014, the Participant Confidentiality policy (attached) will be changed to reflect the requirement for local agencies to notify the State WIC Office if they receive a subpoena or search warrant on a participant. Also, guidelines for data sharing by the State WIC office with other Department programs have been added.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- May WIC Invoices: WIC Invoices for May 2014 submitted for payment in the month of June, along with prior months, must be submitted through the Online WIC Invoicing System by close of business on Friday, June 6, 2014. Invoices submitted after that date will be held and paid in July, 2014. This change in schedule complies with the close of State Fiscal Year 2014 payment processing deadlines. If you have questions please contact Laura Weiler at Laura.Weiler@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7901.
- Retirement Announcement: Linda Rost, who serves as WIC and Nutrition Services fixed asset manager, has announced her retirement from DHSS. Her last day will be May 30th after 28 years with the State of Missouri. Linda has been with WIC for 10 years, working with local agency staff to ensure WIC equipment is tagged, in working order and tracked appropriately. She also has maintained the Local Agency Provider information database and was responsible for the posting of the WIC Updates to the web. Please join state staff in wishing Linda all the best as she enters a new phase in her life, the most important one as grandmother to 6 month old Tuck.
Public Health Hazard of Consuming Raw Milk
Pediatrics - Consumption of Raw or Unpasteurized Milk
WIC Conference Agenda
WIC Final Food Package Update
FFRG & Cheese - MEMO - New Rule Notification
FFRG (Effective 06-01-14) Guidelines
FFRG (Effective 06-01-2014) Formula Listing
WIC Selfie Pictures
Selfie or Group Selfie Form
LAP Training Registration
ER.1.01700 - Participant Confidentiality