WIC Local Agency
June 9, 2014 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: IBCLC Care Award
SUBJECT 2: Formula Survey - CPAs and Nutritionists
SUBJECT 3: New Food Items/New Descriptions in MOWINS & Resource Shipping Plan
SUBJECT 4: WIC Invoice Upgrades
SUBJECT 5: WIC Help Desk Meeting
SUBJECT 6: New Breastfeeding Handout
SUBJECT 7: Mandatory Training - WIC Final Food Rule: Phase 1
SUBJECT 8: Immunizations Webinars
SUBJECT 9: 2014 WIC Conference 40 Years of WIC - Making a Difference!
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Nutritionist - Stone County Health Department
- IBCLC Care Award: Congratulations to Newton County Health Department for receiving the IBCLC Care Award from the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) and the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA). This award recognizes maternity and community-based facilities worldwide that hire International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs), have a dedicated lactation support program that trains all their staff on breastfeeding and implement special projects to promote, protect and support breastfeeding. For more information go to www.ibclccare.org.
- Formula Survey - CPAs and Nutritionists: The variety of infant formulas and medical foods available today presents a challenge to health professionals. New products appear frequently and existing products may be re-formulated. To keep you abreast of these changes and to answer your questions about new and existing products we are looking into providing a session on formula and medical food at the WIC Conference in October and possibly face-to-face trainings at multiple locations throughout the state. To help us target your needs, we would like for CPAs and nutritionists to complete the short survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C58RJ88. Thank you for your help.
- New Food Items/New Descriptions in MOWINS & Resource Shipping Plan: Please see the attached notification memo and share with your staff. If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at firstname.lastname@example.org . (ONE ATTACHMENT)
WIC Invoice Upgrades: The Invoicing and LAP systems will not be available on June 16th. The history will not be available for the LAP. The programs will be offline because the WIC Invoice system will receive several much-needed upgrades. Thank you for sending suggestions about how to improve the invoice system. Many of them were incorporated into this system upgrade.
Updates include: By popular demand, the LWP’s can now submit the Invoice with just one keystroke. Currently, LWPs are required to click “Yes” Form Complete, and then click “SAVE”. After the Upgrade, just one click of the newly created “SUBMIT INVOICE” button will submit the Invoice by changing the status from Draft to Pending. This button will be located at both the top and bottom of the Invoice A page. The Personnel B page will have a new “Totals” row located below the last employee in the Personnel Expense table that displays total hours, salary, benefits, etc. The In-Kind C page will include the blue “remaining budget” boxes at the bottom of the page. This will be helpful to determine the remaining In-Kind balance in each line item. All unused fields will be removed from the In-Kind C page. If you have any questions, contact Laura.Weiler@health.mo.gov or call Laura Weiler at 573/526-7901.
WIC Help Desk Meeting: This is a reminder that there will be no WIC Help Desk coverage on Friday, June 20, 2014, from 8:00 am to 10:30 am. Although staff will not be available during these hours, feel free to leave a message and all calls will be returned as soon as possible. The purpose of these meetings is to review processes and procedures in order to provide the highest quality customer service to local agencies and WIC participants.
In our ongoing efforts to better our customer service please remember to complete the WIC Help Desk Customer Service Survey regarding your experience after contacting the WIC Help Desk. The survey can be located here and should take approximately 3 minutes to complete. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
If you have questions, please contact Melissa Seaver at 800-554-2544 or Melissa.Seaver@health.mo.gov.
- New Breastfeeding Handout: A new handout titled “Rooming-in” is available in the warehouse. The catalog number is 329 and is in a pad of 25 with English on one side and Spanish on the other. Attached is a copy of the handout in English and in Spanish. Please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792 with questions on breastfeeding literature. (TWO ATTACHMENTS)
- Mandatory Training - WIC Final Food Rule: Phase 1: The 3-hour sessions will provide attendees with an overview of the WIC food package changes that will be implemented October 1, 2014. The training will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. A nutritionist from each agency must attend. Other WIC local agency counseling staff may attend. A training registration is attached with the dates, times and locations. Phase 2 of the Final Food Rule will be implemented in April 2015. There will be additional training offered for the Phase 2 food package changes. Trainings for Phase 2 implementation will be announced at a later date. If you have questions, contact D’Anne Ward at Danne.Ward@health.mo.gov or 573-526-0209. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- Immunizations411 Webinars: Upcoming monthly Immunizations 411 webinars will provide participants with the latest immunization information. Although these will be great education and you may wish to participate, these are NOT approved for WIC nutrition continuing education. The attached schedule includes the topic and speaker as well as information on how to register. You may contact your state technical assistance nutritionist if you have questions. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
2014 WIC Conference 40 Years of WIC - Making a Difference!
The 2014 WIC Conference is planned for October 19 - 21 at the Holiday Inn Executive Center, 2200 Interstate Dr. SW, Columbia, MO 65203. A draft agenda is attached. The State WIC Office is pleased to support this excellent training opportunity! Registration will be funded by the State WIC Office for a limited number of staff from each agency, based on caseload (please see chart below). There will also be an allocation for meals, lodging (double occupancy) and travel which will be available in the 2015 contracts.
Monthly Caseload # Registrations FFY14
FFY15 Conference Lodging Allowance FFY15 Conference Travel Allowance FFY15 Conference Meals Allowance
Less than 500
2 $180 $166 $100
3 $360 $166 $150
4 $360 $166 $200 2,001--3,000 5 $540 $332 $250 More than 3,001 6 $540 $332 $300
In order to facilitate planning, please email the number of staff and peer counselors that your agency will send to the conference to: WIC Operations- WICOperations@health.mo.gov. This will allow the State Office to plan for the amount of funding needed for each agency. However, you must register for the conference in order to attend the conference. More details will be coming soon. If you have questions about conference registration, please contact Rhonda Breitenbecher at email@example.com
Job Opportunity Nutritionist - Stone County Health Department
The Stone County Health Department is accepting applications for a Nutritionist to work full-time in the WIC program at both the Branson West and Galena offices. The candidate must have graduated from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in public health nutrition, dietetics, nutrition, foods, home economics, or a closely related field, including or supplemented by at least 15 semester hours in food and nutrition, including diet therapy and community nutrition. Hours of work would be Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Send resume to Maria Wells at the Stone County Health Department, 109 East 4th Street, Galena, MO 65656, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 20. Stone County Health Department is An Equal Opportunity Employer.
New Food Items/New Descriptions in MOWINS & Resource Shipping Plan
Rooming-In At The Hospital - English
Rooming-In At The Hospital - Spanish
Final Food Rule - Training Registration Form
Immunization Webinar Flyer
WIC Conference Agenda