WIC Local Agency
June 23, 2014 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: 2014 WIC Conference 40 Years of WIC - Making a Difference!
SUBJECT 2: Funding Survey
SUBJECT 3: New Resources in Spanish
SUBJECT 4: Learning Dynamics WIC Customer Service Tip
SUBJECT 5: Crystal Reports
SUBJECT 6: Changes to Beech-Nut Infant Foods
SUBJECT 7: Supporting Nursing Moms at Work
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Nutritionist/Dietitian-Grace Hill Health Centers, Inc
2014 WIC Conference 40 Years of WIC - Making a Difference!
The 2014 WIC Conference is planned for October 19 - 21 at the Holiday Inn Executive Center, 2200 Interstate Dr. SW, Columbia, MO 65203. A draft agenda is attached. The State WIC Office is pleased to support this excellent training opportunity! Registration will be funded by the State WIC Office for a limited number of staff from each agency, based on caseload (please see chart below). There will also be an allocation for meals, lodging (double occupancy) and travel which will be available in the 2015 contracts.
Monthly Caseload # Registrations FFY14
FFY15 Conference Lodging Allowance FFY15 Conference Travel Allowance FFY15 Conference Meals Allowance Less than 500 2 $180 $166 $100 501 --1,000 3 $360 $166 $150 1,001--2,000 4 $360 $166 $200 2,001--3,000 5 $540 $332 $250 More than 3,001 6 $540 $332 $300
In order to facilitate planning, please email the number of staff and peer counselors that your agency will send to the conference to: WIC Operations- WICOperations@health.mo.gov. This will allow the State Office to plan for the amount of funding needed for each agency. However, you must register for the conference in order to attend the conference. More details will be coming soon. If you have questions about conference registration, please contact Rhonda Breitenbecher at email@example.com (ONE ATTACHMENT)
Funding Survey: The USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) has contracted with Altarum Institute and RTI International to conduct a comprehensive study of WIC Nutrition Services and Administration (NSA) costs at state and local WIC agencies. FNS is interested in understanding the ways in which NSA grant funds are utilized, the range of operations covered by NSA funds, and the impact of the program changes on NSA grant funds. All state and local WIC agencies are included in this WIC NSA Cost study.
One of the study activities that involves all local agencies is the completion of a web survey that focuses on the ways in which local agencies utilize the funds to operate WIC services. You will be receiving information about the web survey directly from RTI sometime in July with instructions on accessing the secure survey website and completing the survey. We encourage you to complete the web survey by the requested completion date of October 1, 2014. This study will be important to inform USDA about the full range of valuable services that are performed with WIC NSA funds. We would like all of Missouri’s WIC agencies to provide input through this web survey. Thank you.
New Resources in Spanish: The following resources were translated into Spanish and will be printed in 4-5 weeks:
- Milk Change Notification Poster (# 383)
- Milk Change Notification Handout (#384)
- Milk Fat Content Comparison Handout (#402)
- Low Fat Milk Promotion Sticker (#405)
- Learning Dynamics WIC Customer Service Tip: Attached is our latest issue of “Customer Service Notes for WIC.” This issue discusses providing internal service by assisting your new team members. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- Crystal Reports: New and revised reports were posted to Crystal on June 23, 2014. Please review the table of contents (attached) or at http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/frauddatalinks/. If you have any questions about the new and revised reports, please contact your TA team member. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- Changes to Beech-Nut Infant Foods: Beech-Nut infant foods have new labels. Please see the attached and share the changes with your staff and participants. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- Supporting Nursing Moms at Work: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office on Women's Health (OWH) launched a new national online searchable resource, Supporting Nursing Moms at Work: Employer Solutions. It features a variety of web-based resources designed to help businesses implement Section 4207 of the Affordable Care Act. This law requires employers of hourly workers to provide private space that is not a bathroom and reasonable time for employees who are breastfeeding to express their milk while they are at work. Employer Solutions includes videos and stories of over 200 businesses in 29 U.S. states, representing 22 industry sectors. For more information on this resource or information on the Missouri “Breastfeeding Friendly Worksite” Program, contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792 or by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov.
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Nutritionist/Dietitian-Grace Hill Health Centers, Inc. has an immediate opening for a full time Nutritionist/Dietitian in the WIC program. The candidate must have graduated from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health Nutrition, Dietetics, Home Economic, or closely related field; including or supplemented by at least fifteen (15) semester hours in food and nutrition including diet therapy and community nutrition. The selected candidate will provide nutrition education to WIC eligible participants and assess their nutritional needs for certification eligibility. Send resume to Acey J. Staples, at Grace Hill Health Centers, 1717 Biddle Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63106 or e-mail to AceyS@gracehill.org. WIC is an equal opportunity employer.
WIC Conference Agenda
Resource #1 Spanish Milk Notification Card
Resource #2 Spanish Milk Notification Poster
Resource #3 Spanish WIC Low Fat Milk Sticker Spanish
Resource #4 Low Fat Milk Fat Comparison Nutrition Spanish
Learning Dynamices WIC Tips for June 2014
WIC TOC Crystal Reports
Beechnut Label Changes