WIC Local Agency
April 7, 2014 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Final Food Rule from USDA
SUBJECT 2: MOWINS Hot Topics
SUBJECT 3: Formula Approval Process
SUBJECT 4: Over-the-Telephone Foreign Language Interpretation-New Statewide Contracts
SUBJECT 5: Breast Pump Order
Final Food Rule from USDA: The State office is pleased to announce that USDA released the Final Food Rule for the WIC program to further improve the nutrition and health of our WIC participants. As you may remember MO implemented the interim food package changes on October 1, 2009 so we are very excited about the final food rule. We are beginning to make the necessary plans with communication to WIC participants, retailers, physicians and local WIC agencies. The final food rule increases the number of substitutions and options the state has to enhance the food package. Changes to the food package are based on the latest nutrition science. Such food additions as yogurt, whole wheat pasta, refried beans and jack mackerel fish for breastfeeding moms are all possible additions to the MO food list. The full list along with the date(s) of implementation will be shared with the local WIC agencies in the next few months. The State office is also developing a training plan to educate the local agency staff on changes to our food package.
The final food rule reflects public comments that many of us responded to USDA about. The changes will take place over a 12-18 month period. Some changes require an enhancement to our MOWINS computer system. Some changes are somewhat easier. Some are federally required to be implemented in June 2014, some later in calendar year 2014 and some in FFY 2015.
The following changes will be effective May 1, 2014:
- Peanut butter will have a description change to include 16 oz size container and the 18 oz container. The change to the peanut butter will not require a new food prescription for all participants. We will simply modify the current food item description.
- The description for Pediasure with Fiber will include: ALL FLAVORS
Three new formulas will be added: (The updated FFRG will be released April 14, 2014 via the WIC Weekly Update)
- Enfamil Premature 30 cal in the 2 oz nursette
- Similac Special Care 30 cal in the 2 oz nursette
- Nutramigen with Enflora LGG Toddler
- The Cash Value Voucher (CVV) for children will increase from $6.00 to $8.00. The change in the CVV will require a new food prescription for each participant who receives a CVV. Please note that this includes children and all women (P, B, N). Attached are instructions on what you will see in MOWINS beginning immediately for the CVV.
- The final rule will no longer allow cheese to be issued beyond the 1 pound allowance (2 pounds for fully breastfeeding women) even with medical documentation. States now have greater flexibility in food selections to replace the milk in the food package in addition to offering lactose free milk along with soy milk.
MOWINS Hot Topics: The next MOWINS Hot Topics session will be Thursday, May 1, 2014 from 8:30 am to 10:30 am and will explore DCN Data related to MOWINS and provide additional clarification regarding missing proof (residency, income, and ID) as it pertains to MOWINS. It will consist of a live webinar and a conference call with WIC Help Desk staff. MOWINS Hot Topics sessions are open to all LWP staff, but registration is required. The link to register can be accessed here. Once a registration has been completed, a confirmation will be sent within 48 business hours providing additional details. A computer with a network connection is necessary to participate.
We would like to hear from you! Please click here to submit topics for future MOWINS Hot Topic sessions. Previous sessions along with future dates and topics for the MOWINS Hot Topic sessions can be found on the MOWINS webpage.
Please contact the WIC Help Desk via e-mail at email@example.com or by calling 800-554-2544 with any questions.
- Formula Approval Process: The Assigned State Nutritionist will take formula request calls and direct ship calls until 4:00 p.m. All formula request and direct ship calls received after 4:00 will be handled the following day. If a LWP calls after 4:00 p.m. with a formula approval and the participant is waiting, the call will then be sent to the assigned nutritionist scheduled for the day to take care of it that day. Information regarding requests for other formula calls/direct ship coming in after 4 p.m. will be sent in an email to the nutritionist scheduled for formula calls that day as well as the nutritionist scheduled for the next day.
Over-the-Telephone Foreign Language Interpretation-New Statewide Contracts: Two new statewide contractors for over-the-telephone foreign language interpretation are available for local WIC providers located within local health department.
CTS Language Link
911 Main Street, Suite 10
Vancouver, WA 98660
Toll Free No.: 800-208-2620 x416
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Language Line Services, Inc.
1 Lower Ragsdale Dr., Building 2
Monterey, CA 93940
More information on the statewide contracts will be available through the WIC website by April 15, 2014. If your agency is interested in using the statewide contracts, please make the necessary arrangements to set up an account number). Please note that charges for language interpretation are allowable expenses under your local WIC provider contract. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Breast Pump Order: Medela is planning to ship the requested breast pumps the week of April 7, 2014. Please remember that the following procedure must be followed in order to verify receipt of shipment for payment and to send the required WIC tags.
- Immediately upon receipt of shipment, please locate the packing slip and verify that your agency received the products and quantities stated.
- Sign the packing slip to verify the order is correct.
- Fax the signed packing slip to Laura Weiler at the state WIC office at 573-526-1470. WIC tags will be mailed upon receipt of your packing slip.
- If your agency did not receive what was stated on the packing slip, please contact the state WIC office immediately.