- General Information about Training Approval
- Training Approval Process
- Approval for Training Series
- Conference Approval Process
- Additional Information
The Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) Section for Child Care Regulation (SCCR), per regulatory authority, is responsible for the review and approval child care related clock hour training counting toward annual staff requirements for child care providers. In February 2012, DHSS began using an online process for the approval of child care related clock hour training approval requests. Trainers may access the online clock hour training approval application on the Missouri Workshop Calendar at www.moworkshopcalendar.org. Child care training conducted for clock hours to meet the annual requirements for child care staff in licensed facilities must be preapproved and pertain to at least one of the competencies found in the Core Competencies for Early Childhood and Youth Development Professionals (Kansas and Missouri).
The workshop calendar is designed for use by trainers, training participants, and administrative staff submitting training for approval. A helpful video and user guide can be found on the Missouri Workshop Calendar.
Training participants, trainers, or designees submitting training for approval must have a Missouri Professional Development ID (MOPD ID). Additional information about the MOPD ID can be found on our website. Before conducting a training session, trainers should request that training participants obtain and bring to training their MOPD ID number.
Training Approval Process
Trainers must create an account on the Missouri Workshop Calendar. After an account is created, trainers can access the “Dashboard” on the Calendar to complete three required functions:
- APPROVAL: Training must be pre-approved using the online application on the Missouri Workshop Calendar.
- PUBLISHING: Prior to each training session, the session must be published on the Calendar. Training published as a private event will not be viewable on the calendar, but still must be published.
- ATTENDANCE: Within 10 days after each training session, the trainer or a designee must manage training attendance to award credit to the participants’ electronic training records. In addition to managing attendance electronically, trainers must provide a certificate of attendance that includes, at a minimum:
- Training Title
- Trainer Name
- Training Date
- Training Approval Number
- Number of Clock Hours
- Participant Name
Training approved prior to February 2012 remains approved through December 31, 2014. These training events were assigned a DHSS approval number. The DHSS approval number must be printed on certificates given to training participants. Trainings with DHSS approval numbers are not required to be published on the Missouri Workshop Calendar. In order to publish events approved prior to February 2012 on the calendar, trainers must complete the training approval, publishing, and attendance process described above.
Approval for Training Series
Training delivered in a series, for example, one session each week for several weeks, must be submitted as individual sessions for each training event in the series. Training attendees may only receive credit for sessions which they attend. Trainers must follow the approval, publishing, and attendance management process for each of the training series sessions.
Conference Approval Process
Conference planners seeking clock hour approval for their conference training sessions must apply for approval through the Missouri Workshop Calendar. The event must meet the following criteria to qualify as a conference:
- Sponsored by an organization(s)
- At least two conference committee members with MOPD IDs
- Have a process to solicit, review, and selecting conference sessions
- Offers concurrent sessions
Conference planners must use the Missouri Workshop Calendar for these required functions:
- CONFERENCE APPROVAL: General conference information is submitted to be recognized as a conference offering clock hour training. The following information is needed to submit an event for conference approval:
- Conference Name
- Sponsoring organization
- MOPD IDs of at least two conference committee members
- Description of the process for soliciting, reviewing, and selecting sessions
- Dates/location of the event
- Conference description
- Estimated number of sessions and total clock hours
- CONFERENCE SESSION APPROVAL: Individual session information must be added to the accepted conference. Conference Request for Proposals should require the appropriate information be submitted from the trainer in order to submit each session for conference approval. Session information required is:
- Session Title
- Number of Clock Hours
- Brief Session Description
- Trainer MOPD ID
- Target Audience
- Age Group Focus
- Core Competency Area(s)
- PUBLISHING: After approval, and prior to the event, the conference must be published on the Calendar. Conferences published as a private event will not be viewable on the calendar, but still must be published.
- ATTENDANCE: Conference attendees must provide their MOPD IDs to enable conference planners to submit attendance for each session. When providing conference registration information, It is advised to instruct attendees to have their MOPD IDs available at each conference session. Within 10 days after each training session, a conference committee member must manage individual conference session attendance to award credit to the participants’ electronic training records. In addition to managing attendance electronically, trainers must provide a certificate of attendance that includes, at a minimum:
- Approved training sessions may be delivered multiple times over a three (3) year approval period. Training sessions must be published and attendance maintained each time the session is offered for clock hours.
- Conferences are approved on a one-time basis.
- Trainers shall not receive clock hour credit for training sessions they conduct.
- Training sessions delivered prior to approval may not be approved for clock hours.
- Breaks and lunch time do not count toward clock hours.
- Training sessions must be delivered as submitted. Training sessions with the same topic and title that vary in number of clock hours must be submitted separately.
- Training approval and attendance may be submitted by an individual other than the trainer.
- Training participants who arrive late, leave early, sleep, or otherwise do not participate in the training session shall not be awarded clock hours.
- Training is approved for the trainer listed on the application only. If the training is to be delivered by another trainer the application must be resubmitted with the new trainer’s MOPD ID.
- Training and conference approval questions may be sent to CCTraining@health.mo.gov.