Provider Information

Do I need to be licensed?

If you care for more than four children not *related to you, the state requires that you be licensed.

How do I get licensed?

There are four steps to the licensing process:

Step 1 - If you are interested in operating a child care facility, contact us to obtain more information about licensed child care and schedule to attend the inquiry meeting in your area.

Step 2 - You must complete an application on the forms provided by us. There is no charge for the application or the license. A license is issued for up to two years.

Step 3 - You must send your completed application to the Section for Child Care Regulation (see map). Three different types of inspections are required. An initial inspection of the entire premises is made by us to determine compliance with rules. A fire safety inspection conducted by personnel from the Department of Public Safety, Division of Fire Safety and a sanitation inspection conducted by the Bureau of Environmental Health Services personnel are also necessary.

Step 4 - Once you have met the requirements for licensure, your child care license will be mailed to you. The license will indicate the effective dates of the license, the number of children you are licensed to care for, and any limitations. Unless otherwise stated, this license is valid for two years. While your facility is licensed, our staff will inspect your facility at least twice a year. More frequent inspections will be made if a complaint has been received or if there are compliance concerns. Your facility will also receive annual fire safety and sanitation inspections.


Environmental Health (Sanitation)

Child Care

See articles below for the link to Sanitation Inspection Guidelines for Family Child Care Homes and for the Sanitation Inspection Guidelines for Group Child Care Homes, Child Care Centers and License-Exempt Child Care Facilities.


Who can receive Child Care Nurse Consultation Program Services?


What services are offered?

Topics may include:

What does it cost?

Local Health Departments provide most child care consultation, training, and education resources at no cost.

For more information:
Contact your Local Public Health Agency to request additional information from the Child Care Health Consultant. If you have questions about the availability of a Health Consultant in your area, contact the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Center for Local Public Health Services at: