Choosing child care is an important decision. Each child is unique and it takes time, patience and an understanding of what to look for when choosing child care. You know the needs of your child and family. However, you may need assistance in matching those needs to available resources. We are pleased to share resources that are available to assist you with this important decision.
Show Me Child Care Provider Search
A web-based listing of all licensed and license-exempt providers in Missouri can be found at Show Me Child Care Provider Search.
Child Care Aware® of Missouri
If you would like help choosing child care, call 1-866-892-3228 or visit http://www.mo.childcareaware.org/.Child Care of Aware® of Missouri serves as a community resource on child care throughout the state. They connect families to child care, early learning, and after after-school programs. They work with child care program owners, directors, and teachers to improve the quality of their programs. They also provide business and civic leaders with information on the value and importance of child care and collaborate with them to make child care safe and enriching for children.
A licensed child care program where care is offered by a licensed child care provider for no more than ten children, not *related to the provider.
A licensed child care program where care is offered by a licensed child care provider for no more than 20 children, not *related to the caregiver, in a location separate from the provider’s living quarters.
Child Care Centers
A licensed child care program where care is offered by a licensed child care provider for more than 20 children in a location other than the provider’s residence.
License-Exempt Child Care
By state law, certain programs are exempt from licensure, but are required to be regulated. These include:
- Child care programs that are under the exclusive control of a religious organization.
- Any nursery school program for preschool children that operates no more than four (4) hours per child per day.
If you believe your program is exempt, please fill out a DC-20 form and submit it to us.
Exempt Child Care
By state law, certain programs are exempt from licensure and regulation. These include:
- Any person caring for four or fewer children not *related to the provider; or
- A facility operated in connection with a business establishment as a convenience for its customers or employees for not more than 4 hours per day; or
- Graded boarding schools, summer camps, hospitals, or other entities as explained in state law; or
- Residential facility or day programs licensed by the Department of Mental Health.
- Elementary or Secondary school systems.