Becoming a Childcare Director
Child Care Director Requirements
Section for Child Care Regulation Rule 19 CSR 30-62.102(2) (A) 2. requires that center directors and group day care home providers routinely shall be on duty during the hours of highest attendance a minimum of forty (40) hours per week. Child care directors must meet qualifications as stated in Rule 19 CSR 30-62.102(2) (A) 2. The information below explains the process for Director Certification and Facility Director Approval.
Becoming an approved director at a facility is a two-step process:
STEP 1: An individual applies for Director Certification. (see process below)
STEP 2: A facility owner submits a Facility Director Approval Request naming the individual to become the facility’s approved director. (see process below)
Allow 30 days for the Director Certification process to be completed. The certification process will not begin until all documents are received in the Section for Child Care Regulation (SCCR) Central Office. SCCR staff will discuss certification status with the applicant only.
Applicants must submit a Director Certification Request (BCC-71) and supporting documents to the Section for Child Care Regulation at SCCR Central Office, Director Certification, PO Box 570, Jefferson City, MO 65102.
Supporting documentation must include:
- Official transcript(s) (not a copy) from an accredited college or university.
- Only transcripts bearing the seal of the college or university will be accepted.
- Official transcripts may not be faxed.
- To check the accreditation status of an institution:
- Visit http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
- Click on “Get data for one accredited institution/campus/site”
- Enter the name of the institution to search
- Find and click on the name/location/campus of the institution in question
- View the type of accreditation
- To check the accreditation status of an institution:
Other supporting documentation may include:
- Copy of a Child Development Associate (CDA) certificate issued by the Council for Professional Recognition. For information on this certification visit http://www.cdacouncil.org/.
- Copy of a Youth Development Credential (YDC) issued by the Missouri School Age Community Coalition (MOSAC2). For information on this certification visit http://mosac2.org/ydc/ydc.html.
- Facility Director Work Experience form (BCC-71A). Use this form to report child care work experience. Per Rule 19 CSR 30-62.102(2) (B) 1. B., all experience must have been responsible, supervised, full-time, paid experience in working with children in a child care setting. Part time experience may be prorated to a full-time equivalent. Family home child care may be counted if the home was a licensed program. Foster parenting does not count toward child care experience.
Explanation of Director Requirements
Licensing rules require a facility director to have the following education and/or work experience qualifications:
Education and Experience
Up to 20 Children
Thirty (30) college semester credits, with six (6) of the thirty (30) credits in child-related courses; or twelve (12) months’ experience with six (6) college semester credits in child related courses; or a CDA credential; or a YDC credential.
Sixty (60) college semester credits. Twelve (12) of the credits must be in child-related courses; or twenty-four (24) months’ experience and twelve (12) college semester credits in child-related courses.
Ninety (90) college semester credits. Eighteen (18) of the ninety (90) credits must be in child-related courses; or thirty-six (36) months’ experience and eighteen (18) college semester credits in child-related courses.
100 or More
One hundred twenty (120) college semester credits. Twenty-four (24) of the one hundred twenty (120) credits must be in child related courses. Six (6) of the twenty-four (24) college semester credits may include courses in business or management; or four (4) years’ experience and twenty-four (24) college semester credits in child-related courses. Six (6) of the twenty-four (24) college semester credits may include courses in business or management.
- Director certification does not expire.
- SCCR retains all documentation submitted for evaluation.
- When applying for an increase in capacity, only new documentation is required. SCCR will keep previously submitted documentation on file.
- There is no substitution for the required college credits.
- A director certificate is the property of the individual certified. Submit a copy of the certification to the facility where employed.
- Transcripts will be reviewed for child-related college credits. Courses may include child related courses in early childhood education, elementary education, child development, child psychology, nutrition, first aid, recreation, nursing, health, marriage and family, social work, sociology, or other related fields as approved by DHSS. View a Sample Course List of the approved child related college courses.
Facility Director Approval
Child care center owners or designees are responsible for having an approved director on staff.
To request that a director be approved for a specific facility, a Facility Director Approval Request (BCC-73) must be submitted to the facility’s Child Care Facility Specialist, along with the necessary documentation:
- Director Certification form for the appropriate capacity
- Results from Background Check
- Medical Examination Report
- Risk Assessment for Tuberculosis
In addition to submitting the necessary documentation, the facility owner or designee must agree that:
- The facility director shall be routinely on duty on the premises a minimum of forty (40) hours per week during the hours of highest attendance.
- If the facility operates less than forty (40) hours per week, the facility director shall be routinely on duty on the premises at least fifty (50%) percent of the operating hours.
- The facility director shall not be engaged in any other employment while on duty.
- In the absence of the facility director, another responsible individual shall be designated in charge of the facility.
- The owner(s), board president or chairperson shall notify DHSS immediately if the approved director is no longer employed in that position.
Director Certification questions should be directed to CCDirectors@health.mo.gov.