Let's Move Salad Bars to Missouri Schools
Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools is a national campaign with the goal of getting a free salad bar in every school that wants one.
This web page presents resources and information to connect schools and communities with the Let's Move Salad Bars to Schools Initiative. For more information, contact the Missouri Fruit and Vegetable Coordinator, Pat.Simmons@health.mo.gov.
Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools makes it easy for schools to connect with donors looking to fund a salad bar without any of the usual fundraising challenges. View the School Information.
Meanwhile, Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools makes it easy for donors to connect not only to their school of choice, but also to schools that are prepared and enthusiastic to add a salad bar. View the Supporter Information.
Why all the buzz about salad bars?
- Kids eat more fruits and vegetables when they have options. Since most children are not eating enough fruits and vegetables, this is a great opportunity to help them meet their nutritional needs.
- School meal participation tends to increase when school lunch programs have a salad bar, which could mean more money for school nutrition programs.
- Plate waste decreases when students are allowed to choose what they are going to eat.
- Salad bars are an easy way for schools to meet the new USDA nutrition standards for school meals that emphasize serving more dark green, red and orange vegetables every week.
- Salad bars can help schools meet the HealthierUS Schools Challenge (HUSSC) criteria.
- Finally, salad bars are a perfect place to showcase fresh foods from your local farmer.