October 28, 2013 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Encryption Update
SUBJECT 2: WIC Tips - Learning Dynamics
Encryption Update: Recently the Center for Local Public Health Services (CLPHS) sent information to local public health agency (LPHA) administrators telling them about an encryption method that state staff use to send confidential information to local agencies. We are including this information in the WIC Updates to ensure all WIC local staff are informed. CLPHS is working on an online tutorial for local agencies to use. We will let you know when this is available. See below:
- The Department adopted and implemented Proofpoint Encryption as a safeguard for email being sent outside the mo.gov domain that contains protected health information or otherwise confidential information.
- Every DHSS employee sending an email containing confidential information to a recipient outside the state domain must type [encrypt] on the subject line of the email to securely encrypt the email.
- Confidential information should not be included in the subject line because the subject line is not encrypted.
- The new encryption feature provides an additional safeguard against a breach by helping compensate for human error in some instances. The new feature will automatically encrypt an email being sent outside the mo.gov domain, even though the sender failed to type [encrypt] on the subject line, if the email appears to contain confidential information, e.g., a SSN or DCN.
- If you receive an encrypted email, you will be instructed to open a SecureMessageAtt.html attachment and click to read the message. The first time you will be asked to register in the Proofpoint encryption system and choose a password (which does not expire). Future encrypted emails from DHSS will only require you to enter your password to access the email.
- A document explaining the Proofpoint process may be accessed at http://clphs.health.mo.gov/LPHS/.
If you have questions, please contact Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
2. WIC Tips - Learning Dynamics: Attached is the latest issue of “Customer Service Notes for WIC.” In honor of National Customer Service week, this issue provides a self-assessment of customer service behaviors. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
Learning Dynamics WIC Tips for October 2013