May 28, 2013 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: New WIC Approved Food Lists & Nutrition Assessment Forms
SUBJECT 2: Breastfeeding Handout
SUBJECT 3: NWA Webinars
SUBJECT 4: Continuing Education Opportunity - CDR Certificate of Training in Weight Management Programs
SUBJECT 5: The Weight of the Nation for Kids
SUBJECT 6: National Women's Health Week, from Health and Human Services
SUBJECT 7: May WIC Invoices
SUBJECT 8: Crystal Reports
SUBJECT 9: MOWINS Training - Conversion to e-Learning
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Health Education Supervisor - St. Louis County Department of Health
New WIC Approved Food Lists & Nutrition Assessment Forms: The State Office plans to ship the following items to each local WIC provider between June 15, 2013 and June 30, 2013:
- WIC Approved Food List (640 EN) - Effective Date: October 1, 2013
- WIC Approved Food List (640 SP) - Effective Date: October 1, 2013
- Nutrition Assessment Form - Infants (WIC 37, Bilingual) - Effective Date: July 22, 2013
- Nutrition Assessment Form - Children (WIC 35, Bilingual) - Effective Date: July 22, 2013
- Nutrition Assessment Form - Women (WIC 36, Bilingual) - Effective Date: July 22, 2013
On May 30, 2013, local WIC coordinators will receive an email message with the link to order these items. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Breastfeeding Handout: There is a new handout on “Use of Nipple Shields” available for download at the WIC Resources and Publication website at http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/wiclwp/publications.php. Please keep in mind that only local WIC providers that have an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) are able to provide nipple shields. If you have any questions about breastfeeding literature or use of nipple shields, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
NWA Webinars: NWA has two new educational webinars. Click on the register links to learn more about each webinar and register today.
Title: On the Path towards Baby-Friendly Hospitals: First Steps
When: Wednesday, June 19, 2013; 3 - 4 p.m. EST
Who should register: State and Local Agency staff
Click to Register
NUTRITION SERVICES SECTION:
Title: Baby Behavior Education: Look, Recognize, Respond
When: Wednesday, June 26, 2013; 3 - 4 p.m. EST
Who should register: State and Local Agency Nutritionists; and other WIC staff who are interested
Click to Register
Please note that call-in numbers are NOT toll-free and you may incur long distance charges if you call in using your phone. You should be able to listen through your computer speakers for free. If you have any questions please, contact your district TA team
Continuing Education Opportunity-CDR Certificate of Training in Weight Management Programs: The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers Certificate of Training Programs in both adult and childhood weight management. The programs are open to RD’s and DTR’s. The Certificate of Training offers cutting edge information and skills shared by leading practitioners in the field, valuable resource materials, and continuing education. Self-study modules are now available in online and paper versions. The Childhood module is approved for 13 CPE hours, the Adult module for 16 CPE hours. Costs range from $49 - $89, depending on the course and version selected. For additional information, go to http://cdrnet.org/products/continuing-professional-development-education.
The Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management Program, for which participants earn 35 hours continuing professional education, will be offered:
June 13-15, 2013 in Costa Mesa, California,
September 5 - 7, 2013 in Portland, Oregon,
September 30 - October 2, 2013 in Memphis, Tennessee and
October 17 - 19, 2013 in Houston, Texas.
Deadline for registration is approximately three weeks prior to the session starting. For more information and registration go to http://cdrnet.org/weight-management-adult-program.
The Certificate of Training in Childhood and Adolescent Weight Management Program, for which participants earn 32 hours continuing professional education, will be offered:
November 22 - 24, 2013 in Denver, Colorado.
For more information and registration go to http://cdrnet.org/weight-management-childhood-adolescent-program.
Registration fee for these programs is $370 and expenses are WIC allowable. For approval, contact your assigned Technical Assistance Nutritionist.
The Weight of the Nation for Kids: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is pleased to announce the release of HBO’s new documentary film, The Weight of the Nation for Kids. The documentary takes a look at the issue of childhood obesity. With 31.8 percent of children and teens age 2 - 19 now either overweight or obese, the issue has never been more urgent. This three-part series of 30-minute films sheds light on solutions to the obesity problem at home and in school. The Weight of the Nation for Kids is a fun, family-friendly companion to the 2012 four-part documentary, The Weight of the Nation. The series was developed by HBO and the Institute of Medicine, in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health. The Weight of the Nation highlighted the environmental, social and genetic causes of obesity as well as practical solutions civic leaders and organizations are taking to improve the diets and physical activity of Americans. Now The Weight of the Nation for Kids focuses on what some kids are doing at home and in communities to make healthy changes to their diets, school menus, and every day activities.” The Weight of the Nation for Kids originally aired on May 7th, but you can check your local cable listings or HBO.com for other show times. In addition, all episodes can be viewed for free on The Weight of the Nation for Kids website at http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films/kids-films/the-great-cafeteria-takeover.
National Women's Health Week, from Health and Human Services: The Office on Women's Health celebrated National Women's Health Week. More than 1,000 events took place across the country last week, thousands of people shared information on Facebook and Twitter, and many media outlets wrote or aired stories about women's health. Below is a link to a infographic regarding the Affordable Care Act and how it benefits women.
- May WIC Invoices: WIC Invoices for May 2013, and prior months, submitted for payment in the month of June must be submitted through the Online WIC Invoicing System by close of business on Friday, June 7, 2013. Invoices submitted after that date will be held and paid in July, 2013. This change in schedule complies with the close of State Fiscal Year 2013 payment processing deadlines. If you have questions please contact Laura Weiler at Laura.Weiler@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7901.
- Crystal Reports: New and/or revised reports will be posted to Crystal on May 28, 2013. Please review the table of contents (attached) or at http://health.mo.gov//living/families/wic/wiclwp/data.php.
If you have any questions about the new and/or revised reports, please contact your TA team member. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- MOWINS Training – Conversion to e-Learning: As you have probably heard, the MOWINS training is being converted from face-to-face to e-Learning. In February 2013, we successfully eliminated one full day from the three day training. The May 2013 training was the last face-to-face MOWINS training. Beginning in June 2013, there will be no more face-to-face MOWINS trainings. We are working very hard to have the entire MOWINS training converted to e-Learning by the end of June 2013. The training will consist of seven sessions which includes several modules within each session. Training registration will be done electronically at the beginning of each session. We will provide additional information on MOWINS e-Learning registration in the WIC Updates in June 2013.
Please note this is specific only to the MOWINS training. For all other trainings, please refer to the WIC Training page http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/wiclwp/training.php.
If you have questions about the MOWINS training, please contact Melissa.Seaver@health.mo.gov.
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Health Education Supervisor - St. Louis County Department of Health:
St. Louis County Department of Health has an opening for a Health Education Supervisor to work in the WIC Program. This is a full time, Registered Dietitian position working at a St. Louis County DOH Health Center and WIC office located in north St. Louis County. The position entails supervision of WIC operations and personnel at two WIC locations. Requirements include at least 2 years experience working as a Registered Dietitian, preferably in WIC. For additional information, or to apply online go to www.stlouisco.com/personnel/jobsearch and/or contact Lynn Sojka at 314-615-0470.