December 30, 2013 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Social Media Survey
SUBJECT 2: The National Prevention Strategy 2014 Webinars
SUBJECT 3: WOM Policy ER# 1.06200 has been revised
SUBJECT 4: Attention: Do you owe for Void Redeemed Checks?
Social Media Survey: Social media is a rapidly expanding technology that includes social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest and can be a great way to connect with WIC participants, engage staff and reach out to community partners. A workgroup at the State WIC office is in the process of developing a plan to determine the best way to use these tools and would like to know how local WIC agencies are currently using social media. We request that each local WIC provider complete an online survey by clicking on the following link. Please only one survey per agency and it is preferred it is completed by the WIC Coordinator. The deadline to complete the survey is COB Friday, January 31st. If you have any questions please contact D’Anne Ward at Danne.Ward@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-0209.
The National Prevention Strategy 2014 Webinars: The National Prevention Strategy was developed as a result of the Affordable Care Act. Attached is a list of webinars that start in February 2014 titled Improving the Mental and Emotional Well-Being of Communities. Registration information is included in the attachment. WIC CEUs will not be allowed for any of these webinars since they do not pertain to nutrition or breastfeeding. If you have any questions, please discuss with your TA Nutritionist. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
WOM Policy ER# 1.06200 has been revised. Major changes include:
- The name of the policy has been changed from “Participant Violations” to “Program Violations”
- The policy has been changed to include violations by participants, authorized representatives, and/or alternative authorized representatives (proxies).
- All letters to participants or authorized representatives (warning letters, sanctions and disqualifications) will be issued by the State Office.
- Specific language has been added regarding the sale of foods and/or formula on social media (Facebook, Craigslist, etc.) by participants or authorized representatives who are receiving the same type of foods and/or formulas through WIC. The State Office will send a warning letter when these instances are discovered. LWPs will no longer have to interview participants or authorized representatives about selling foods and/or formula on social media.
LWPs and/or Technical Assistance staff should notify Debby Hanlon at 573-751-6196 or by email at Debby.Hanlon@health.mo.gov any time a program violation is known or suspected. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact Debby Hanlon.
Attention: Do you owe for Void Redeemed Checks:
USDA has approved the new Missouri Void Redeemed Policy (ER#3.04000). This policy addresses the checks that are voided in MOWINS and redeemed by the participant. An audit review identified this practice as a problem. Any Local WIC Provider who fails to properly handle and account for voided checks may be billed for the face value or redeemed value of those food instruments. As a result of a USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) management evaluation finding, the State was asked to reimburse the USDA for checks found to be inappropriately handled resulting in double issuance of WIC benefits to participants. The State agreed to put in place a process to address this issue.
The State has a new void redeemed process approved by USDA to be implemented January 1, 2014. The State is following USDA direction in asking for repayment of void redeemed checks unless the agency can document that no over issuance of benefits has occurred. The Crystal Report for void redeemed checks is available for agency review at any time (Void Lost Stolen FIs-Redeemed & Not Redeemed–Detail). Each agency should review the report at least once per month. The state will be sending a bill to each agency that has a total of $45 or more of unexplained or un-reconciled void redeemed checks in a quarter. Quarters begin Jan 1, April 1, July 1, and Oct 1.
- Review the Crystal Report for Void Redeemed Checks at least once per month
- Identify and correct the cause of the check that is redeemed after being voided in MOWINS to avoid future problems
- Answer the request for justification from WIC Operations Team within 45 calendar days
- Work with assigned TA to correct check issues
- If Void Redeemed check is over issuance, let us know how you would like to pay
- Avoid future errors
- Work with assigned TA to correct check issues, answer questions, or for other assistance. (ONE ATTACHMENT)