April 15, 2013 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Breast Pump Order
SUBJECT 2: Breastfeeding Plan (Spanish)
SUBJECT 3: WIC Services to Local WIC Provider Employees and Relatives of Employees
SUBJECT 4: Income Guidelines
SUBJECT 5: FFY 2014 LAP Training Registration
Breast Pump Order: Medela is planning to ship the available breast pumps on April 22, 2013. Some items will be backordered until mid-May. Please remember that the following procedure must be followed in order to verify receipt of shipment for payment and to send the required WIC tags.
- Immediately upon receipt of shipment, please locate the packing slip and verify that your agency received the products and quantities stated.
- Sign the packing slip to verify the order is correct.
- Fax the signed packing slip to Laura Weiler at the state WIC office at 573-526-1470. WIC tags will be mailed upon receipt of your packing slip.
- If your agency did not receive what was stated on the packing slip, please contact the state WIC office immediately.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by telephone at 573-526-4792.
2. Breastfeeding Plan (Spanish): The handout titled “Breastfeeding Plan” is now available in Spanish (attached). It can also be downloaded from the WIC website at http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/wiclwp/publications.php. If you have any questions about breastfeeding literature, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
3. WIC Services to Local WIC Provider Employees and Relatives of Employees:
WOM ER#1.07000 states, “The local WIC provider (LWP) shall assure that program standards are upheld when WIC services are provided to local WIC provider (LWP) employees, their relatives, and their close friends.” The LWP must ensure that food instruments are appropriately issued. An employee who is a WIC participant, the relative of a WIC participant or close friend of a WIC participant must not issue or print food instruments for themselves, their close friends or a relative. The LWP must ensure they have appropriate personnel to allow someone other than the participating employee to perform these functions to comply with policy or must contact the state WIC office to ensure appropriate controls are established. If you have questions, please contact Betty Cassidy at Betty.Cassidy@health.mo.gov for call 800-392-8209.
4. Income Guidelines: In the WIC Updates of April 1, 2013, we sent information on the new income guidelines, effective April 1, 2013 - March 31, 2014. These guidelines have been approved by USDA and are now final. We will send the laminated cards in the next few weeks, after they have been printed. If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or Debby Hanlon at Debby.Hanlon@health.mo.gov or 800-392-8209.
5. FFY 2014 LAP Training Registration: Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2014 WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) training will be conducted at the Department’s ITSD Training Room, 920 Wildwood Dr., Jefferson City on June 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28, 2013. This year's training is optional, but is strongly recommended for new LAP users. The training registration form is available at http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/wiclwp/training-wic_lap.php and must be submitted by May 31, 2013. Webinars will also be available prior to the on-site training. Please check future WIC Updates for information on the availability of these webinars.If you have any questions regarding the LAP training, please contact Debby Hanlon at Debby.Hanlon@health.mo.gov or by calling 573-751-6196.
Breastfeeding Plan Spanish