June 4, 2012 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC” Training in St. Charles
SUBJECT 2: Removal of “LIPIL” from Formula Descriptions
SUBJECT 3: Beechnut Tear Pads
SUBJECT 4: May WIC Invoices
SUBJECT 5: 2012 WIC Conference
SUBJECT 6: Local WIC Provider Survey on Outreach
“Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC” Training in St. Charles: Due to a large number of staff needing to attend this training in the St. Louis area, a training has been scheduled at the St. Charles Department of Community Health on August 13 & 14, 2012. Please remember that all new WIC agency staff is required to attend. Nutritionists and CPAs must attend both days of training and all other staff (WIC Coordinators, WIC Clerks, HPAs, Certifiers, etc.) need to only attend the first day, with the second day being optional. To register please complete the attached registration form and email to Reba Brown at Reba.Brown@health.mo.gov. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792 or by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov for more information. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- Removal of “LIPIL” from Formula Descriptions: The State office will be updating formula descriptions in MOWINS during the weekend of June 16, 2012. See the following changes in the table below:
Old Description in MOWINS
New Description in MOWINS
1 QT/32 OZ ENFACARE LIPIL (22 CALORIE) RTU
1 QT/32 OZ ENFACARE (22 CAL) RTU
1 QT/32 OZ NUTRAMIGEN LIPIL RTU
1 QT/32 OZ NUTRAMIGEN RTU
12.6 OZ CAN NUTRAMIGEN LIPIL W/ ENFLORA LGG POWDER
12.6 OZ NUTRAMIGEN W/ ENFLORA LGG POWDER
12.8 OZ CAN ENFACARE/ENFACARE LIPIL (22 CALORIE) POWDER
12.8 OZ ENFACARE (22 CAL) POWDER
13 OZ NUTRAMIGEN LIPIL CONCENTRATE
13 OZ NUTRAMIGEN CONCENTRATE
14.1 OZ NUTRAMIGEN AA LIPIL POWDER
14.1 OZ NUTRAMIGEN AA POWDER
16 OZ CAN PREGESTIMIL LIPIL
16 OZ PREGESTIMIL POWDER
6 PACK (2 OZ) PREGESTIMIL LIPIL 20CAL R-T-U
6 PACK (2 OZ) PREGESTIMIL (20 CAL) R-T-U
6-PACK (2 OZ) ENFAMIL PREMATURE LIPIL W/IRON 24 CAL
6-PACK (2 OZ) ENFAMIL PREMATURE W/ IRON 24 CAL
6-PACK(2 OZ) ENFAMIL PREMATURE LIPIL W/IRON 20 CAL
6-PACK (2 OZ) ENFAMIL PREMATURE W/ IRON 20 CAL
8 OZ ENFAPORT LIPIL R-T-U
- OZ ENFAPORT R-T-U
[Note] Words in red will be removed.This change does not require creating new food prescriptions. However, it is important to share the following important messages with staff:
- Local WIC provider staff log off MOWINS by 5:00 pm, Saturday, June 16, 2012 in order to receive the food item updates on Monday, June 18, 2012.
- When users long on to MOWINS on Monday, June 18, 2012, they should click both “Reset Local Reference Data” and “Update Local Reference Data”.
If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Beechnut Tearpads: It has been reported that the Beechnut Company has been sending product information tearpads to the LWPS to be given to WIC participants. Not all agencies are receiving these tearpads. The education message that Beechnut states conflicts with our WIC program nutrition messages, specifically feeding the 4-6 month old infant. Please discard any Beechnut tearpads that your agency has received. We do not want to give conflicting nutrition messages to our WIC participants. If you have any questions, please contact your district TA nutritionist.
- May WIC Invoices: WIC Invoices for May 2012, and prior months, submitted for payment in the month of June must be submitted through the Online WIC Invoicing System by close of business on Friday, June 8, 2012. Invoices submitted after that date will be held and paid in July, 2012. This change in schedule complies with the close of State Fiscal Year 2012 payment processing deadlines. If you have questions please contact Laura Weiler at Laura.Weiler@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7901.
- 2012 WIC Conference: “The Magic of WIC” will be held October 22-24, 2012 at the Capital Plaza Hotel in Jefferson City. The conference offers opportunities to network with WIC colleagues, keep up-to-date on nutrition and breastfeeding trends, visit with participating WIC exhibitors, and a chance to meet and discuss current WIC topics with State staff. More details regarding agenda, costs, etc. will be coming soon. Please start planning now to attend this great conference! If you have any questions, please contact Brenda Brewer at Brenda.Brewer@tmcmed.org.
- Local WIC Provider Survey on Outreach: The Missouri WIC office is seeking input from Local WIC Providers on current outreach efforts. We are also hoping to determine what assistance or tools the state office can provide to Local WIC Providers to make their outreach activities more effective.
A survey has been developed to gather this information. The survey should take about 5 minutes to complete. Please have the person responsible for outreach in your agency, complete this survey. The survey will be available for completion through June 30, 2012. Your input is appreciated. Contact Nancy Keim at 573.290.5819 or by email, email@example.com with questions.