June 18, 2012 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC” Training in Kansas City
SUBJECT 2: NWA Nutrition and Breastfeeding Conference-Los Angeles-Sept 11-13, 2012
SUBJECT 3: Income Calculation Change
SUBJECT 4: MOWINS Release 2.15.05 (06) to production-change in date
SUBJECT 5: Missouri’s 2012 WIC Conference - Jefferson City
SUBJECT 6: Public Comment Invited on 2013 WIC State Plan
SUBJECT 7: Continuing Education Opportunity
- “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC” Training in Kansas City: This is a reminder that we have the training “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC” scheduled at the Clay County Health Department on June 28 & 29, 2012. Nutritionists and CPAs must attend both days of training and all other staff (WIC Coordinators, WIC Clerks, HPAs, Certifiers, etc.) need only attend the first day, with the second day being optional. To register for this training, please complete the attached registration form and email to Reba.Brown@health.mo.gov. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792 or by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov for more information. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- NWA Nutrition and Breastfeeding Conference: The National WIC Association’s 2012 Nutrition Education and Breastfeeding Conference will be held in Los Angeles, CA, September 11-13, 2012. The flyer announcing the conference is attached. This conference is every other year and a great opportunity to learn the latest in breastfeeding. For more information on this conference, go to the NWA webpage. If you have any questions, contact your TA Nutritionist. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
- Income Calculation Change: Several years ago USDA sent instructions on how to calculate income using conversion factors that converted income to a monthly figure.
Monthly Income Equals:
Weekly income x 4.3
Bi-Weekly income (every two weeks) x 2.15
Semi-Monthly income (twice a month) x 2
Effective June 25, 2012, these conversion factors must no longer be used.
USDA has mandated that we use new conversion factor procedures. We will make a business rule change to MOWINS effective June 25 so that it will use the new conversion factors. However, if local agency staff does income determinations manually, they must also use the new conversion factors, beginning on June 25. Here they are:
If a household has only one income source, or if all sources have the same frequency, do not use conversion factors. Compare the income, or the sum of the separate incomes, to the current Missouri WIC Income Guidelines for the appropriate frequency (e.g. annual, monthly or weekly) and family size to make WIC income eligibility determination.
Example: If one family member has income of $1100 monthly and another has income of $1200 monthly and the family size is 3, the total is $2300 monthly. The maximum amount on the guidelines is $2944- the family is income eligible for WIC.
If a family reports income sources at more than one frequency, perform the following calculations:
- Annualize all income by multiplying weekly income by 52, income received every two weeks by 26, income received twice a month by 24 and income received monthly by 12.
- Do not round the values resulting from each conversion.
- Add together all the unrounded, converted values.
- Compare the total to the current Missouri WIC Income Guidelines under Annual for the appropriate family size to make WIC income eligibility determination.
Example: If one family member has income of $300 weekly and another family member has income of $1200 monthly, multiply $300 by 52 = $15,600 and multiply $1200 by 12 = $14,400. The total is $30,000. The family size is 3. The maximum amount on the guidelines is $35,317- the family is income eligible for WIC.
To assure you receive this update, after you sign on to MOWINS on June 25, right click on the “W” in the lower right corner of your window and click on reset local reference data. After it runs, right click on the “W” again and click on update local reference data. This is a business rule change, not a new release, so you do not need to come in early on June 25 to receive computer updates.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
MOWINS Release 2.15.05 (06) to production - change in date:
Due to some testing issues and a 2nd patch release that has come to us to test, we have changed the date of the next MOWINS release to production. We had planned to implement on July 2.
Release 2.15.06 will be implemented on Monday, July 23, 2012. Due to the time required for setup and conversion to this release, MOWINS will be unavailable from 8pm July 20 until 5am July 23.
The webinar for this release will be available for viewing on July 9. The webinars will be posted on the MOWINS website at http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/mowins/index.php. Because no release is 100% defect free, we will do our best to let you know of any new defects that you might encounter. These will be listed in a PDF document and posted on the same website as the webinars.
We apologize for the short notice and appreciate your patience. If you have any questions/concerns, please contact Melissa.Seaver@health.mo.gov.
Missouri’s 2012 WIC Conference - Jefferson City: “The Magic of WIC” will be held October 22-24, 2012 at the Capital Plaza Hotel in Jefferson City. The conference offers opportunities to network with WIC colleagues, keep up-to-date on nutrition and breastfeeding trends, visit with participating WIC exhibitors, and a chance to meet and discuss current WIC topics with State staff. See attached for a draft of the At-A- Glance. Please start planning now to attend this great conference! If you have any questions, please contact Brenda Brewer at Brenda.Brewer@tmcmed.org. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
Public Comment Invited on 2013 WIC State Plan: The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services is soliciting public comment on the proposed Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Special Supplemental Nutrition Program FFY 2013 State Plan, which covers the period beginning October 1, 2012 and ending September 30, 2013. USDA requires states to develop an annual plan that includes goals on nutrition services initiatives to promote and support breastfeeding; vendor management; and other program goals. Additionally, comments are invited on the 2013 Local Agency Nutrition Services Contract Scope of Work for local WIC providers. The changes for 2013 are highlighted. All public comments are welcome and must be directed to the attention of Susan.White@health.mo.gov via email, or fax to 573-526-1470 or mail to Susan White, WIC and Nutrition Services, P.O. Box 570, 930 Wildwood Drive, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0570. Comments will be included in the final copy of the plan which will be submitted to the US Department of Agriculture no later than July 13, 2012. All comments are due to the Department of Health and Senior Services by July 6, 2012 to allow time for incorporation into the final document. (TWO ATTACHMENTS)
Continuing Education Opportunity: The City of St. Joseph Health Department-WIC Program is hosting a continuing education event on July 26, 2012 at Heartland Regional Medical Center-Private Dining Rooms 3 & 4 in St. Joseph, MO. Guest speaker, Marianne Neifert, MD, MTS, FAAP, will be presenting “The Missouri Show Me 5!” Supportive Hospital Practices-Building Momentum toward the Baby-Friendly Ten Steps. The event is free, but you must register to attend. The program begins at 1:00pm and will end at 3:00pm. Snacks and beverages will be provided. The program registration form is attached. Please contact Ashton Ibarra with any questions/concerns at 816-271-4744 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
BF Training Registration Form KC
NWA Nutrition and Breastfeeding Conference Flyer
Jump Start Breastfeeding Registration Form
2013 Goals and Objectives
SOW Final Highlighted
At a Glance Draft WIC Conference