July 2, 2012 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: 3270 Mainframe - HANDS screens to be disabled
SUBJECT 2: Public Comment Invited on 2013 WIC State Plan
SUBJECT 3: FFY2013 Local Agency Plan
SUBJECT 4: Performance Measures Survey
- 3270 Mainframe - HANDS screens to be disabled: Effective July 6, 2012, most HANDS screens in the 3270 mainframe will be disabled. These will include the H107 and H1W7screens, since they are not needed to check for adjunct eligibility. Disabling unneeded HANDS screens will save money for the state WIC program. The HDFS screen and DCN search and assignment screens (SCLR, SNME, etc.) will not be disabled.
Please contact Melissa.Seaver@health.mo.gov if you have questions.
- Public Comment Invited on 2013 WIC State Plan: The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services is soliciting public comment on the proposed Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Special Supplemental Nutrition Program FFY 2013 State Plan, which covers the period beginning October 1, 2012 and ending September 30, 2013. USDA requires states to develop an annual plan that includes goals on nutrition services initiatives to promote and support breastfeeding; vendor management; and other program goals. Additionally, comments are invited on the 2013 Local Agency Nutrition Services Contract Scope of Work for local WIC providers. The changes for 2013 are highlighted. All public comments are welcome and must be directed to the attention of Susan.White@health.mo.gov via email, or fax to 573-526-1470 or mail to Susan White, WIC and Nutrition Services, P.O. Box 570, 930 Wildwood Drive, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0570. Comments will be included in the final copy of the plan which will be submitted to the US Department of Agriculture no later than July 13, 2012. All comments are due to the Department of Health and Senior Services by July 6, 2012 to allow time for incorporation into the final document. (TWO ATTACHMENTS)
- FFY2013 Local Agency Plan: The FFY2013 Local Agency Plan (LAP) manual is now available at http://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/wiclwp/policies.php. We plan to release the LAP application for local agencies to use on July 9, 2012. In the meantime, please ensure that you can log onto the LAP. If you have any problems with your user name and/or password, please contact the ITSD Help Desk at 800-347-0887. If you have any questions regarding the LAP manual, please contact Debby Hanlon at 800-392-8209 or by email at Debby.Hanlon@dhss.mo/gov.
- Performance Measures Survey: The WIC Performance Measures project is a collaboration between the State WIC Office and Local WIC Providers to focus on goals of ultimately improving services and improving health outcomes through Performance Measures. The project will be implemented in FY2013, and in FY2014 we will move from writing objectives in the LAP to determining targets for Performance Measures.
A workgroup of State WIC staff and local agency staff has developed a list of measures using reporting already in place:
- To increase the percentage of infants that are breastfed at birth;
- To increase the percentage of infants who continue to breastfeed at 3 months of age;
- To increase the percentage of infants who continue to breastfeed at 6 months of age;
- To decrease the percentage of children age 2 - 5 whose BMI for age > 85th percentile to <95th percentile;
- To decrease the percentage of children age 2 - 5 whose BMI for age > 95th percentile;
- To increase the percentage of prenatals enrolled in WIC in the 1st Trimester;
- To decrease the number of voided checks that are redeemed;
- To increase the Administrative Monitoring Scores by increasing adherence to program policies and regulations; and
- To increase the Nutrition Monitoring Scores by increasing adherence to program policies and regulations.
Agencies will see their performance compared to other agencies similar in caseload size. Implementation of the pilot program began in March, 2012 for 5 pilot agencies. Currently pilot agencies track progress through quarterly reporting with graphs. We will be evaluating current measures and performance prior to the end of FY12 to make plans for statewide Performance Measures implementation in FY13. The plan for FY13 includes a computer application that can be used to store and display the Performance Measures data. We would like your input on plans for FY13, so please complete the survey questions on the following link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T62HXLT by July 31, 2012. If you have questions, you may contact Betty Cassidy at Betty.Cassidy@health.mo.gov or call 800-392-8209.