July 23, 2012 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Breast Pump Order
SUBJECT 2: Press Releases and WIC in the News Video Clips - Examples
SUBJECT 3: National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course Seminar - Save the Date
SUBJECT 4: Program Integrity
SUBJECT 5: Signature Pad Help Checklist
SUBJECT 6: Fourth Quarter Holiday Clinic Hours
SUBJECT 7: Microcuvettes and Analyzers-Response Requested
- Breast Pump Order: The state WIC office has limited funding to place an order for double pumping kits, Lactina Select multi-user electric breast pumps, Harmony manual breast pumps and Personal Double Electric single-user breast pumps. Single-user means that this pump is not meant to be shared with other women, so we will be giving this pump to mothers who meet the following criteria:
- Mother must be separated from her infant at least 32 hours per week.
- Mother must be planning to offer breast milk exclusively to her infant and committed to continued long-term exclusive breastfeeding.
- Infant must be receiving no formula from WIC or any other source.
- Pump cannot be provided to the mother before 4 weeks post partum. If a mother needs a pump before then, she may be loaned a multi-user electric breast pump.
For each participant that is provided this pump, the Single User Personal Electric Breast Pump Agreement/Questionnaire (attached) must be completed and scanned into MOWINS. It is important that you promote this pump to prenatal women and use as an additional incentive to promote exclusive breastfeeding.
If you would like to request any of these items for your agency, please complete the attached order form and email to Kathy.Mertzufft@health.mo.gov or fax to 573-526-1470 by COB on Friday, August 17, 2012. Please keep in mind that funding is limited, so please only order what you need. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792 or at the above email address. (TWO ATTACHMENTS)
Press Releases and WIC in the News Video Clips-Examples: WICNS is looking for examples of press releases that the local WIC providers have used in the past and provide any links to your WIC clinic being covered in the local media. These may be used during the 2012 WIC Conference that is scheduled for October 22, 23 and 24 in Jefferson City. The DHSS Office of Public Information (OPI) will be providing a speaker during a breakout session at the conference and would like to incorporate examples of WIC in the media. If you have examples of a press release that you have used before or a media link, please send it electronically to Phyllis Fuller at the following: Phyllis.Fuller@health.mo.gov. Thank you for your assistance with this. If you have any questions, please contact Phyllis Fuller.
National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course Seminar-Save the Date: Nutrition Educational Opportunity: WIC Registered Dietitians, Nutritionists, and Public Health Nurses that serve pre-conceptual, pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women will want to take advantage of this full two-day National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course Seminar. The seminar will be shown in Jefferson City on September 26-27, 2012 and again on October 2-3, 2012 in order to accommodate more attendees. This year's continuing education program focuses on: appropriate nutrition services that can improve pregnancy outcomes; effects of maternal eating behaviors on birth outcomes, infant health status and development; characteristics of model programs; and counseling approaches for maternal and infant nutritional health. This training is presented by the University of Minnesota’s School of Public Health and will be shown by the WICNS Nutrition Training Institute. The registration form and additional details will be available via the WIC Weekly Updates in the next couple of weeks. If you have any questions, please contact Michele Bailey at Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov.
Program Integrity:The WIC State Office is concerned about notices appearing on social media sites, such as Craigslist, Facebook and Twitter, which advertise the sale of infant formula. In some cases the notice states that the formula was received from WIC. Selling or giving away formula, food or food instruments constitutes fraud and prevents WIC dollars from reaching eligible families. We are currently developing a poster for LWP offices to display as a reminder of what constitutes fraud in WIC. You should receive these in the coming months. As we continue our efforts to ensure Program Integrity in the WIC program, we encourage you to remind participants of the proper use of Food Instruments, Food Packages and Infant Formula. Any unused infant formula should be returned to the LWP. Returned exempt formula and medical foods will be added to the extra formula data base for use by other participants within the Missouri WIC program. Please see the Food &Formula Reference Guide FFRG for further guidance. Please refer to WOM 1.06200 for the policy regarding participant violations and contact your district TA team if you suspect WIC participant fraud or have any questions.
Signature Pad Help Checklist: We have created a Signature Pad Help Checklist to be used when damage or other problems occur in the functioning of the signature pads provided for MOWINS. Steps in the checklist should be completed prior to contacting the State WIC Office for replacement. The checklist will help ensure a more accurate diagnosis of signature pad damage or malfunction. The Signature Pad Help Checklist is attached.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
Fourth Quarter Holiday Clinic Hours: We are asking agencies to complete a brief survey (http://webapp03.dhss.mo.gov/snapwebhost/surveylogin.asp?k=134135007100) to determine WIC Help Desk Coverage for the following upcoming holidays: Columbus Day (October 8), Veterans Day (November 12), the day after Thanksgiving (November 23), and Christmas Eve (December 24). The survey will be open from August 1 through August 31 for completion.
Questions may be directed to Flo Minor at Florence.Minor@health.mo.gov or by calling 800-392-8209 or 573-522-3639.
Microcuvettes and Analyzers-Response Requested: It is time to order microcuvettes by completing the survey. Please follow the instructions below to assure your agency receives your supply of microcuvettes and/or analyzer.
- Microcuvette Survey: Please complete and return the attached survey via e-mail to WICOperations@health.mo.gov by Monday, August 6, 2012. This will assure no interruption in the supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Order: The information from the survey will be used to identify the current supply on hand at each agency and to estimate the needs of each agency for the next six months. The microcuvette order will be shipped directly to your agency.
- Analyzers: Analyzers are also available to agencies by completing the request and justification. Tell us why you need the analyzer: replace current analyzer; expand services in another room/satellite site; more efficient work flow; other: explain.
Local WIC Provider Confirmation: When you receive the order please do the following:
- Verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip.
- If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip.
- Fax the packing slip to the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is (573) 526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes.
- If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Lori Baysinger at 800-392-8209. Thank you for your cooperation. (ONE ATTACHMENT)