February 6, 2012 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: National Nutrition Month 2012
SUBJECT 2: 2012-2013 Department of Health and Senior Services Program for Dietetic Interns
SUBJECT 3: Continuing Education Opportunities
SUBJECT 4: Linkages Newsletter from the Center for Children with Special Needs
SUBJECT 5: Response Requested-Microcuvettes and Analyzers
National Nutrition Month 2012: Get Your Plate in Shape is the theme for National Nutrition Month 2012. Go to http://www.eatright.org/nnm/ for ideas galore for celebrating this event in your agency during the month of March. Key messages are featured on the Get Your Plate in Shape nutrition tip sheet. Additional tip sheets to use with your WIC audiences, available in English or Spanish are:
- 20 Ways to Enjoy More Fruits and Vegetables
- 25 Healthy Snacks for Kids
- Color Your Plate with Salad
- Eating Right for a Healthy Weight
- Everyday Eating for a Healthier You
- Healthy Eating on the Run
- Power Up with Breakfast
- Shop Smart – Get the Facts on Food Labels
- Smart Snacking for Adults and Teens
Reproduction of the tip sheets is permitted for educational purposes. Games, videos, recipes and promotional items are all available on the website. Media materials, including press releases and PSAs, will be available soon. It is not necessary to complete a WIC Media/Pamphlet Review Criteria Form for National Nutrition Month materials provided as handouts to participants. If you have any questions, please contact your District TA nutritionist.
2012-2013 Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MDHSS) Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI): We are pleased to announce that the four dietetic interns to begin in August 2012 have been selected. All four of the incoming interns are from local WIC provider agencies and will bring a valuable perspective to the program. We had some excellent candidates for the Missouri Program. Our interns are: Jacquelyn Brown (Northeast Community Action Corp.), Traci DeMott (Nodaway Co.), Danielle Pelham (St. Charles Co.), and Minerva Vazquez (Samuel U Rodgers). For more information about the MDHSS Program for Dietetic Interns, please contact Vicki Strickland at Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7961.
Continuing Education Opportunities:
- The University of Missouri’s Cambio Center in cooperation with the North Central Extension and Research Activity "Latinos and Immigrants in Midwestern Communities" - North Central Regional Center for Rural Development, and the South Extension and Research Activity "The New Latino South” are hosting the eleventh annual “Cambio de Colores – Latinos in the Heartland” conference on June 13-15, 2012 in Columbia, Missouri. If you need more information check out this website www.cambiodecolores.org.
- The National Dairy Council webinar, A Closer Look at Lactose Intolerance among Different Ethnic Groups: Understanding the Latest Science and Smart Solutions to Prevent Unintended Consequences, is now available online. Go to http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/EducationMaterials/HealthProfessionalsEducationKits/Pages/video.aspx to view the webinar. This webinar features Cecilia Pozo Feleti, MS, RD and Jeanette Newton Keith, MD who are leaders in the field of lactose intolerance management. They discuss the impact of lactose intolerance on Hispanics and African Americans, share culturally relevant lactose management solutions and highlight key resources and references on this topic. The free recording provides 1 CPE credit for RDs.
If you have any questions, please contact your TA nutritionist.
Linkages Newsletter from the Center for Children with Special Needs: Linkages is a newsletter for professionals who work with children who have ongoing health conditions or disabilities. The newsletter is published three times a year, in January, May, and October, and is produced by Seattle Children’s Center, with support from Washington State Department of Health Children with Special Health Care Needs Program. The winter 2012 Edition, Feeding Issues in Children with Special Needs, is a great resource for nutrition information! Go to http://cshcn.org/news-events/linkages-newsletters to read about:
- Mealtime Challenges and the Autism Spectrum
- Nutrition for Children with Rett Syndrome
Watch short videos to learn:
- Strategies for Treating Children with Severe Oral Aversions
- Technical Aspects of Enteral Feeding, and
- Feeding the Child with Cleft Palate
You may subscribe to Linkages and have it sent directly to your inbox at no charge. Although not all issues focus on nutrition, this one happens to address topics that WIC nutritionists confront in WIC clinics. If you have any questions, please contact your TA nutritionist.
Response Requested-Microcuvettes and Analyzers: It is time to order microcuvettes by completing the survey. Please follow the instructions below to assure your agency receives your supply of microcuvettes and analyzers.
- Microcuvette Survey: Please complete and return the attached survey via e-mail to WICOperations@health.mo.gov by Wednesday, February 15, 2012. This will assure no interruption in the supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Order: The information from the survey will be used to identify the current supply on hand at each agency and to estimate the needs of each agency for the next six months. The microcuvette order will be shipped directly to your agency.
- Analyzers: Analyzers are also available to agencies by completing the request and justification. Tell us why you need the analyzer: replace current analyzer; expand services at another room/satellite site; more efficient work flow; other: explain.
Local WIC Provider Confirmation: When you receive the order please do the following:
- Verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip.
- If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip.
- Fax the packing slip to Ellen Whittington at the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is (573) 526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes. Confirmation by e-mail will not be accepted.
- If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Ellen Whittington at 800-392-8209 or (573) 751-3661. Thank you for your cooperation. (ONE ATTACHMENT)