July 5, 2011 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Changes to Abbott/Ross Products – Effective July 11, 2011
SUBJECT 2: Changes to Formulas in MOWINS
SUBJECT 3: New WIC Approved Food Lists – Spanish Version
SUBJECT 4: Public Comment Invited on 2012 WIC State Plan
Changes to Abbott/Ross Products – Effective July 11, 2011: The following changes will be implemented in MOWINS:
Name and Label Changes:
- EleCare Vanilla will be changing its name to EleCare Jr. with a new label.
- Vital Jr. will be changing its name to PediaSure Peptide 1.0 Cal.
- EleCare DHA/ARA will continue to be called EleCare DHA/ARA but with a new label.
Please see the attachment for these changes. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
IMPORTANT – Changes to Formulas in MOWINS: Changes to formulas in MOWINS will be implemented on Monday, July 11, 2011. Please share the following important messages with staff:
- Local WIC provider (LWP) staff must log off MOWINS by 5:00 pm, Saturday, July 9, 2011 in order to receive the food item updates on Monday, July 11, 2011.
- LWP staff must create new food prescriptions for participants who have been receiving food items that are being inactivated. Food prescriptions can be established by a WIC Certifier or CPA.
- The “Participant with Inactive Food Items” report, including participants’ information (e.g. names, state ID numbers, name of formula) will be available for local providers on Crystal Reports in the Clinic Management folder on July 11, 2011.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
New WIC Approved Food Lists – Spanish Version: The warehouse will begin shipping the Spanish version of the new food lists to local WIC providers listed on the attached sheet as soon as they are printed. If your agency is NOT on the list and you wish to receive them, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov indicating the following information:
- Agency Name
- Agency Number
- Quantity Needed
Public Comment Invited on 2012 WIC State Plan: The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services is soliciting public comment on the proposed Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Special Supplemental Nutrition Program FFY 2012 State Plan, which covers the period starting October 1, 2011 and ending September 30, 2012. USDA requires states to develop an annual plan that includes goals on nutrition services initiatives to promote and support breastfeeding; vendor management; and other program goals. Additionally, comments are invited on the two revised WIC program policies that are submitted as part of the State Plan. All public comments are welcome and must be directed to the attention of Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov via email, or fax to 573-526-1470 or mail to Lyn Konstant, WIC and Nutrition Services, P.O. Box 570, 930 Wildwood Drive, Jefferson City, Missouri 65102-0570. Comments will be included in the final copy of the plan which will be submitted to the US Department of Agriculture no later than July 15, 2011. All comments are due to the Department of Health and Senior Services by July 8, 2011 to allow time for incorporation into the final document. (THREE ATTACHMENTS)