July 25, 2011 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Breastfeeding Initiation and Duration Report
SUBJECT 2: Formula Approval Guidance
SUBJECT 3: Quick Health Data Trainings
SUBJECT 4: Fourth Quarter Holiday Office Hours
SUBJECT 5: Response Requested--Microcuvettes & Analyzers
Breastfeeding Initiation and Duration Report: Current breastfeeding rates for all local WIC providers are now available on Crystal Reports. To access the Breastfeeding Initiation and Duration Report go to “WIC Reports-Local Agency”, then to “Clinic Management”. The report will show in the list on the right. This is the same data that will be provided in your Local Agency Plan (LAP). If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792.
Formula Approval Guidance:
- Formula Approval When the Local Agency Nutritionist is Not Available - It is the local agency’s responsibility to have a plan in place for handling formula approvals (WIC 27) that come into the agency on a day when the nutritionist is not available. This serves as a reminder of local agency options for handling a formula approval when the local agency nutritionist is not available.
- Most formulas can be approved by the local agency CPA.
- Local agencies are encouraged to work together to provide services. Your agency may need to establish an agreement to refer formula approvals to another agency when the local agency nutritionist is not available. Discuss this arrangement with other agencies and sign a Memorandum of Understanding (template attached) before an approval is needed.
- The Clerk, HPA, or WIC Certifier should not call the state WIC office for a formula approval except in special circumstances. This is the responsibility of the local agency CPA or nutritionist.
- Routine Formula Approval Reminder - When the local agency nutritionist or CPA is required to call the state WIC per the FFRG for a formula approval or direct shipment, call 800.392.8209. You will then be directed to the state nutritionist assigned for that day. Please do not leave a voice mail message or send an email to the state nutritionist who previously approved the formula or direct shipment.
Contact your assigned technical assistance nutritionist if you have questions. (ONE ATTACHMENT)
Quick Health Data Online 101:
Wed. Aug. 24 2-3 pm eastern
Fri. Aug. 26 11 am - 12 pm eastern (MAPPING)
Mon. Sept. 19 3-4 pm eastern
Wed. Sept. 21 1-2 pm eastern (MAPPING)
You will need the following numbers to access the training session:
- Toll Free Number: 1-877-925-6129
- Pass code: 410171
Prior to the start of the session, please (1) be sitting in front of your computer, (2) open Internet Explorer on your computer, and (3) go to the following web address: www.womenshealth.gov/quickhealthdata.
Please put your phones on Mute. The training staff will stay on the line to answer all questions arising from the session as well as addressing questions during the session. You are welcome to attend any of these training sessions and to suggest additional topics! Thank you.
The Office on Women's Healthcan be accessed from www.womenshealth.gov
- Fourth Quarter Holiday Office Hours: We are asking agencies to complete a quick survey to determine WIC Help Desk Coverage for the upcoming holidays in October (Columbus Day) and November (Veteran’s Day and day after Thanksgiving). The survey will be open from Aug 5th through August 31st for completion. If there are questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov or call 800-392-8209 or 573-751-6244.
- Response Requested--Microcuvettes & Analyzers: It is time to order microcuvettes by completing the survey. Please follow the instructions below to assure your agency receives your supply of microcuvettes and analyzer.
- Microcuvette Survey: Please complete and return the attached survey via e-mail to WICOperations@health.mo.gov by Monday, August 15, 2011. This will assure no interruption in the supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Order: The information from the survey will be used to identify the current supply on hand at each agency and to estimate the needs of each agency for the next six months. The microcuvette order will be shipped directly to your agency.
- Analyzers: Analyzers are also available to agencies by completing the request and justification. Tell us why you need the analyzer: replace current analyzer; expand services at another room/satellite site; more efficient work flow; other: explain.
- Verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip.
- If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip.
- Fax the packing slip to Leslie Worrell at the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is (573) 526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes. Confirmation by e-mail will not be accepted.
- If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Leslie Worrell at 800-392-8209 or (573) 526-4622. Thank you for your cooperation. (ONE ATTACHMENT)