July 18, 2011 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: World Breastfeeding Week Promotion
SUBJECT 2: WIC Invoicing System Webinars
SUBJECT 3: E Cigarettes
SUBJECT 4: WIC Approved Food Lists
SUBJECT 5: WIC Help Desk Meetings
- World Breastfeeding Week Promotion: August 1-7 is designated each year as World Breastfeeding Week by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) and the entire month of August is designated Missouri Breastfeeding Month. The theme for this year is “Talk to Me, Support Me!” The objective of this year’s theme is to draw attention to how communication is an essential part in protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding. Since support from families and friends is crucial in mothers meeting their breastfeeding goals, we have created educational posters targeting fathers, grandmothers and friends.
Attached are copies of the theme’s logo and sample posters that will be available in the DHSS warehouse. Once they are available, information on how to order will be provided in the WIC Updates. For additional ideas for World Breastfeeding Week, please see the attached suggested promotion activities from the National WIC Association. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792. (FIVE ATTACHMENTS)
- WIC Invoicing System Webinars: New training webinars have been developed for LWP WIC Invoice users to learn step-by-step procedures to submit the WIC Invoice. There are 20 brief, separate webinar modules that give in-depth instructions for completing the monthly WIC Invoice and each accompanying worksheet A-E, the Special Fundings, the ACR, and the Budget Adjustment. You may view one module or all webinar modules at your convenience. The webinars may be found online.
Click the link for the section you would like to view.
We welcome suggestions to improve the webinars. Please contact Laura Weiler, 573-526-7901 or email at Laura.Weiler@health.gov.com.
E Cigarettes: Local WIC Providers have asked questions about e cigarettes. This is an emerging issue for which there is no policy guidance. Electronic cigarettes are promoted as an aid to quit smoking and a tobacco alternative for “smoking pleasure”. They do contain nicotine and are not without risk to WIC participants. They are not FDA approved.
- How should the use of e cigarettes be documented in MOWINS?
- If the participant reports not smoking traditional cigarettes, enter her into MOWINS as non-smoking and do not assign the risk factor.
- If the participant reports e cigarette usage to you, do not enter as smoking and do not enter a number of cigarettes per day, however, provide appropriate counseling and referrals.
- What type of nutrition education/referrals should be provided?
- Provide counseling regarding substance use and its effect on the WIC participant and family members.
- Refer prenatals and breastfeeding women using e cigarettes to their physician.
- What are Missouri WIC and USDA doing to address this issue?
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service discussed e cigarettes and the potential application for WIC nutrition risk criterion #371, Maternal Smoking, at their July 14, 2011 conference call. They plan to issue a formal response to guide state agencies.
- State WIC will share information from USDA and update Missouri policies accordingly.
For more information:
- view a 3 minute video
- review the attachment ACOG Committee Opinion: Smoking Cessation During Pregnancy
- review the attachment Electronic Cigarettes Q & A
Please contact your assigned technical assistance nutritionist if you have questions. (TWO ATTACHMENTS)
- WIC Approved Food Lists: The followings are updates on the WIC Approved Food Lists.
- Attached are new WIC approved food lists in different languages in PDF.
- “What’s New?” - A summary of changes between old food lists & new food lists.
If you have any suggestions/questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov. (NINE ATTACHMENTS)
- WIC Help Desk Meetings: This is a reminder of the WIC Help Desk Meetings that take place once per month. These meetings will be held on Fridays from 8:15 am to 10:15 am. There will be no Help Desk Coverage during this time. We chose these hours because some local agencies are not open on Fridays and there are not usually many calls. Although staff will not be available during these hours, feel free to leave a message and all calls will be returned as soon as possible. You may also send an email to the WIC MOWINS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. The next Help Desk meeting is scheduled for Friday, July 22nd. The meeting dates for the next three months are August 19th, September 23rd, and October 21st. The purpose of these meetings is to review processes and procedures in order to provide the highest quality customer service to local agencies and WIC participants.
If you have questions, please contact the Melissa Seaver at 800-554-2544 or Melissa.Seaver@health.mo.gov.
Breastfeeding Poster - dads
Breastfeeding Poster - grandmothers
Breastfeeding Poster - legal size
WBW Action Ideas 2011
World Breastfeeding Week Logo
ACOG opinion smoking cessation in pregnancy
Electronic cigarettes Questions and Answers
WIC Approved Breads & Tortillas - English
WIC Approved Breads & Tortillas - Spanish
WIC Approved Fruits & Vegetables - English
WIC Approved Fruits & Vegetables - Spanish
WIC Approved Food List - English
WIC Approved Food List - Spanish
WIC Approved Infant Food - English
WIC Approved Infant Food - Spanish
WIC Food List - What's New