January 10, 2011 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) Exam Preparation Course
SUBJECT 2: Extra Formula Listing now on Crystal
SUBJECT 3: Nutrition Education Topics in MOWINS
SUBJECT 4: WIC Approved Food Availability Survey –Action Required
SUBJECT 5: Logging into and Printing Crystal Reports – WIC
SUBJECT 6: EBT Meetings- Hold the Date
SUBJECT 7: Seminars and Conferences:
University of Kansas 13th Annual Obesity Conference
Empowering the Nutrition Gatekeepers
- Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) Exam Preparation Course: The state WIC office is hosting an International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) Exam Preparation course on April 11-15, 2011 in Jefferson City. This course will meet the 45 hours of lactation specific education needed to be an exam candidate by the International Board Lactation Consultants Examiners (IBLCE). If you would like to attend this course, please complete the attached registration form and fax to 573-526-1470 or email to Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov. There is a lot of interest in this course and seating is limited. We are opening up registration to those outside of WIC, so if you are interested in attending this course, please register as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792 or by email at the address above.
- Extra Formula Listing now on Crystal: The spreadsheet listing extra formula available at different LWPs and shipping instructions will now be posted in Crystal Reports. The listing will be updated as needed to include newly added or removed formulas. To help keep food costs down please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date prior to requesting to place an order. Also be sure to notify your district nutritionist or Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov when you have unused formula available at your agency so it may be added to the spreadsheet. There are guidelines for having extra formula shipped from one LWP to another LWP, which allows the formula to be tracked and not get lost in the mail. Please adhere to these guidelines which are posted in Crystal. You will find the above documents in Crystal under WIC Reports-Local Agency>Extra Formula. Attached are instructions for logging into and printing Crystal Reports – WIC. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at 573-751-6244 or 800-392-8209.
- Nutrition Education Topics in MOWINS: Additional changes have been made to the Nutrition Education topics in MOWINS in response to requests from the LWPs. Four new nutrition education topics are available under Individual Secondary Contact:
- WEB-BASED NUTRITION EDUCATION
- SELF-PACED LEARNING MODULE
- TELEPHONE COUNSELING
- E-MAIL COUNSELING
You may need to do the right click reset and right click update on the W while logged into MOWINS if you do not see these changes.
If you have questions, please contact Vicki Strickland at Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7961 or 800-392-8209.
- WIC Approved Food Availability Survey –Action Required: The State office is conducting a survey to assess the availability of WIC approved foods. On January 11, 2011, WIC coordinators will receive an e-mail survey from Mark Wright. Each local WIC provider is asked to complete the survey. The feedback from local WIC providers is very important and valuable. Information obtained through the survey will be used in developing the new WIC Approved Food List (effective October 01, 2011 – September 30, 2013). Please complete the survey by January 31, 2011. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Mark Wright at Mark.Wright@health.mo.gov.
- Logging into and Printing Crystal Reports - WIC: The State WIC Office has updated the instructions for logging into and printing Crystal Reports. Additional reports have been added to Crystal Reports specifically for exporting into Excel. The updated instructions include the exporting and printing of the Excel reports. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov or 573-751-6244 or 800-392-8209.
- EBT Meetings-Hold the Date: We will have meetings in locations around the state for local agency staff to attend to learn more about Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) and give their input on decisions we will need to make regarding EBT. Some of the things we will consider are: whether to go on-line (with magnetic stripe card) or off-line (with Smart card); changes that need to be made to policies; and the impact changing from checks to cards will have on participants. The EBT meeting will be in the morning. There may be meetings with state technical assistance (TA) staff in the afternoon. The registration and more details will be sent in the next couple of weeks. Here are the dates and locations:
March 21, 2011
March 28, 2011
March 31, 2011
April 1, 2011
April 5, 2011
April 7, 2011
April 8, 2011
These meetings are not mandatory but are encouraged. If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Seminars and Conferences: At the request of some LWPs, the WIC Updates begins a new section titled: Seminars and Conferences. If your agency has information about a seminar or conference that you think would be of interest to WIC staff, please send it to Linda Rost at Linda.Rost@health.mo.gov. In your message include the following: title of the conference/seminar, location, date, contact person, fee.
University of Kansas 13th Annual Obesity Conference:
Sponsored by the University of Kansas Center for Physical Activity & Weight Management and University of Kansas Medical Center Continuing Education
When: Thursday - Sunday September 8-11, 2011
Where: Hotel not listed. Most likely in or near Kansas City, MO
Empowering the Nutrition Gatekeepers:
Sponsored by Society of Nutrition Education
When: July 23 – 26, 2011
Where: Kansas City, MO